StoreVirtual Storage
1753661 Members
5916 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Invalid Chunk size error when setting up email alerts.

Kelly Martin_2
Occasional Advisor

Invalid Chunk size error when setting up email alerts.

I have 5 LH P4500 nodes in a storage cluster. I'm having an issue when I setup the smtp server. I get the following error (I'll attach a screenshot as well): "Failed to send Test Email because of the following error: Email SMTP status: 553, message: invalid CHUNK size value"

I'm using a Win XP box as the management PC, using IIS SMTP, fully patched. I have sent test messages through successfully.

The nodes are running San/IQ 8.1.00.0047.0. I have also tried to setup the smtp server on the other nodes, with the same results.

I've search and did not come up with anything helpful. Any information or insight would be appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
Kendal Friesen

I have same setup and problem. Any solutions?
Kelly Martin_2
Occasional Advisor

Actually, I upgraded all of my nodes to 8.5 and still have the issue.

I have found nothing online as to the solution. I'm just going to have to call support. I'll post when I find something out.
Kendal Friesen

I found a work-a-round.

My management box is Windows XP. I configured a second nic to connect to the production network. I enabled Ip routing in the registry. I set the default gateway for the nodes to the management box.
I allowed only allowed SMTP through the firewall and not I can connect to the mail server in production without those chunk size errors.

Kelly Martin_2
Occasional Advisor

Hmm, I tried this on a SATA node that I do not have in production yet and am still getting the error. I'm waiting on a call from Symantec. When I'm done with them, I'll call HP and see what they say. I'll be sure to post whatever information they provide.

Thanks for the response, though!
Kendal Friesen

I assume you punched in the ip of your mail server and are not using the smtp relay on the xp box.
What mail server do you have? I have Exchange 2003 sp2.
Kelly Martin_2
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I did. I've tried to have the manangement station send the mail and relay it to my Exchange 2003 SP2 box. Neither worked. I still need to call. I have a more pressing matter with the G2 units having less free space than my G1 units. I don't want to lose any space as much as these things cost per GB. I have support looking into it, though.

Thanks!