1752842 Members
3651 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is this a supported network config?

Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Is this a supported network config?

I have a P4300 G2 kit with two HP 2910al switches. Right now I have ALB configured on each node and have the two nics on each node connected to different switches. I DO NOT have a trunk in between the switches. They do have STP and flow control enabled. Is it alright not to have a trunk in between the switches? Now, each server going into the Lefthand has two nics, one going into one switch and the other going into another switch. Failover etc seems to be fine. I just want to know if I am hurting anything performance wise.

I attempted to attach a picture to show the layout of my config.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Here is the link to the picture of my setup.

http://tinypic.com/r/6o30xc/5
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

What you have setup will work. As I don't see any additional interswitch links in your setup, you should be fine. I would assume you're doing some sort of virtualization setup?

If there are additional links off your switch where traffic needs to flow, you may have an issue in the future. This would be if the links fail and the switch is basically orphaned. If you are keeping all traffic isolated to this environment, I'd say you are good to go.
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Yes the storage network is completely isolated from the production network. Any device that needs to access the storage network will get a NIC that will connect to it. The servers have another NIC that are for the production network.

I am using this as a true SAN. I have three physical servers that needed more storage. We don't have virtualization.
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

I'd just test out a single port failure to ensure everything fails over and works correctly (port failure on a Server and/or P4300). As the only issue I think you might have is when a single failure within the switch rather than an entire switch fails.
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Ok will try this today and let you know the results.
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Everything seems to failover and failback correctly. I unplugged sincel cables, switches, etc. All seems to work.
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like you're good to go!

Interesting that you don't have an issue like Matthew D as he's running HP switches too (has the post about the P4300 meltdown).