StoreVirtual Storage
1752793 Members
5788 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Jumbo frames on VSA?

LefthandFan

Jumbo frames on VSA?

I've been using NSMs for awhile with good results. I recently started using VSAs for file servers, but want to extend their use to VMWare ESX iSCSI targets. I can't seem to figure out whether or not jumbo frames will work on the VSA. I plan to do the usual configuration on the ESX vmkernel interface for this, but don't know if the setting will be passed to the VSA and whether or not it will actually work.

Does anybody know the answer to this?

11 REPLIES 11
Gauche
Trusted Contributor

You can't use Jumbo frames on a VSA for two reasons. 1, The VMXnet driver that the VSA uses for network does not support them and 2, VMware has not supported using jumbo frames with any iSCSI when using their software initiator.

Those two things are both changing right now in vSphere 4 though. In 4 Jumbo frames are supported by VMware for iSCSI (I better check the new docs but this is what I heard) and the new VMXnet driver does allow jumbo frames.

So watch for a patch on the VSA that will start allowing jumbo frames. Hopefully that can happen soon.
Adam C, LeftHand Product Manger
mplep
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I was wondering if anything had changed on the VSA front for Jumbo Frame support?
SimonQ

I noticed that upgrading the Virtual Hardware to v7 on a VSA in ESX 4 does then allow activation Jumbo Frames (MTU 9000) from the CMC. It seems to work too (although I haven't tested this extensively), but the question is whether this is supported?

SimonQ,
Where in the CMC do you enable jumbo frames?

Thanks
DC
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

I actually tried getting jumbo frames to work on a physical installation (NSM's rather than VSA) and had nothing but problems. This was about a year ago, but it seemed like at that time there was limited information HP/LHN could provide me on the issue. They had not fully tested the solution out with jumbo frames.

Flow control has worked well though. But my experience with LH and jumbo frames would keep me away from it for the time being.
LefthandFan

It's been awhile since I set up NSMs, but if your switch does not support, or is not configured for jumbo frames then you will definitely have problems. IIRC setting it up on the NSM side needs to be done in proper sequence too, which is 1.) enable flow control + jumbo frames at the switch, 2.) enable flow control at the NSM, 3.) enable 9000 MTU on the NSM. There may also have been something with the load balancing policy used, but I don't recall exactly what it was. We use ALB and it has worked well for a couple years now.

As for the VSAs with jumbo frames - I have not yet tried this on vSphere 4.0, but the last I heard there was not yet a new NIC driver that supported this. It would also be nice to see support for the 10Gb VMXNET3 driver included.

In order to test whether or not jumbo frames are working in VMware -
vmkping -s 9000 IP.of.your.VSA

dalar001

Need answers to the folowing

1. jumbo support in vSphere 4
2. Vmxnet3 driver in vSphere 4
3. 64-bit support
4. Paravirtualized scsi adapter

if i uppgrade virtual hardware to ver7 vill i recive support?

//Daniel
VCP since 2003 worked with vmware since 2000
BenWSOD

Still waiting for confirmation on whether or not the latest versions of the VSA support jumbo frames. At this point, a 10GbE NIC should also be supported.
cheazell
Advisor

Hi there,

18 months have passed since the last post. Is there any info on whether Jumbo Frames are supported? Can you safely upgrade the hardware version to 7 and still be supported?

Thanks, Chris