StoreVirtual Storage
1748223 Members
4812 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LH P4300 - P400 Critical firmware v7.08 supported?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

LH P4300 - P400 Critical firmware v7.08 supported?

Just got delivered 2 P4300 nodes with P400 firmware 5.26.
I updated the firmware with the P400 update for Lefthand (patch 10056-00) to firmware version 6.86.

Now HP delivered a 'critical' firmware update for the P400 version 7.08. HP states -> apply this as soon as possible.

So my question is, is this firmware also supported on these P4300 machines?

Is there a firmware matrix available?

Regards,
Arian van der Pijl
5 REPLIES 5
teledata
Respected Contributor

I'd love to hear a clarification from HP on this as well.

Can we generally accept general HP firmware updates for the P4xxx series modules, or should we wait for it to be specifically bundled or released for the Lefthand products?

I suspect the best practice is to wait, as regression testing for SAN/iQ is probably performed in Boulder by Lefthand engineers, and not part of general Proliant hardware testing at this point in time?
http://www.tdonline.com
teledata
Respected Contributor
Solution

Arian,

For what it's worth: I just did an install for a customer (P4300 starter SAN). I spoke with a lefthand engineer, who recommended I go ahead with the firmware for these.

Also here's what I did to make the install easier:

1) Download the 8.70 firmware CD
2) Download the HP USB KEY utility (this makes a usb drive bootable, and places the firmware cd contents on it)
3) copy the firmware update CP012063.scexe into \compaq\swpackages on the USB.

I know the firmware cd doesn't officially support the DL185, but the usb key booted, detected and installed the firmware update (there was also a firmware update for the broadcom NICs).

The lefthand engineer told me there would be a forthecoming "official" lefthand patch for this, but recommended I go ahead immediately with the firmware. While I couldn't really get the engineer to confirm that general firmware update releases are an official Lefthand Support policy, he was very confident that the current updates could be applied.
http://www.tdonline.com
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Hi Teledata!

Thanks for sharing your information!
I'll try to update 'my' P4300's as well ;-)

Regards,
Arian!
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Patch with firmware 7.08 released;
Patch 10064 ├в P400 RAID Controller Firmware Update
..Fixes
CR11274: Drive health monitoring, with P400 RAID controller firmware revision 6.86 or greater installed, can result in drives going offline.

Thanks and regards,
Arian!
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

One thing;

Patch 10056 disabled the following monitoring items;
# The patch changes configuration files, which stops the generation of the drive health monitoring logs (also called smart health logs).
# The configuration file updates also disable the Centralized Management Console (CMC) option to generate the smart health logs.
# Updates library file to stop generating HP array diagnostic utility log periodically.
# This patch removes any existing smart health logs.

Althoug patch Patch 10064 fixes; CR11274: Drive health monitoring, with P400 RAID controller firmware revision 6.86 or greater installed, can result in drives going offline. There is no mentioning of re-enabling the earlier disabled health monitoring.

So health monitoring is still disabled?