1753460 Members
4597 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LeftHand SAN, now what?

M. Godfrey

LeftHand SAN, now what?

Hello,

My company recently came across a LeftHand Networks SAN in a trade for upgraded SAN.

The LeftHand server looks like it's a HP DL320s.

It didn't start up. So I installed Windows 2k8 on it. But I'm not sure if that was correct. It works, but I would like the server to be a SAN or NAS device, not a windows device.

What I want to do is get it to the point where I can use it as a SAN. I would like it to be able to server out ISCSI.

I'm not sure what software I need.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what software I will need and where I can download it?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: LeftHand SAN, now what?

Hello,

The LeftHand nodes are DL320s or DL185, but they're running with a special OS called SAN/iQ. Where did your company buy the box?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
M. Godfrey

We got the box in a trade, we didn't buy it. We sold a couple NetApp Filers and got the LeftHand back. We sell solutions to help companies upgrade their storage infrastructure, sometimes we offer to buy back their existing storage to help get them a better price.

So it's not new, and we don't have paid support for it.

I just would like to know what to download to get it up and running as a SAN/NAS.

Maybe I should just install FreeNAS or OpenFiler on it?

anyways, anything you can do to point me in the right direction would be great.
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

SANiQ software will convert the DL320s to a LeftHand Box,

As far as I know SANiQ is a licensed SW so you need to purchase it from hp or it will be just a DL320s boxand you can use it as it is.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

if the software wasn't delivered with the box, ask HP if you can get a media kit. But I don't know if this is free without a valid support contract.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Boniface E. Nnakwe

I suggest you go to
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/highlights/lefthandsans.html to learn more or if you need someone to guide you, go to HP partner http://www.veristor.com.