5806 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Looking for Documentation: Management Network Related

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

Looking for Documentation: Management Network Related

Hey everyone,

I've actually experienced the issue in setting up the P4500G2 node with regards to management traffic and iSCSI traffic. It is my experience that you cannot create 2 separate networks for the P4500G2 to exist on (one to pass traffic for iSCSI and one relegated to management traffic). That is to say, if I have a Ten-GigE card in my P4500G2, I cannot create a bond with the Ten-GigE card and assign that bond an IP on 172.0.0.0/24 network and then use the two onboard Gig-E nics with a bond and assign that an IP on the 10.0.0.0/24 network while trying to route iSCSI traffic over the Ten-GigE bond and management network traffic over the Gig-E bond. 

From my experience, you have to manage the system from the same network as you are passing iSCSI traffic. I attempted to do this once, and while doing it I realized I could only have a gateway on one bond in the CMC.

Here is my problem, I have a new manager and he is used to using out of band management on SAN systems. The P4500G2 only seems to support in band management. Does anyone have specific documentation that points this out, best practice or otherwise? I just went through the P4000 - Building High Performance High Availability IP Storage Networks with SANiQ and P4000 - User Guide and I could not find any specific vernacular that illustrates this.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
CRiiser
Advisor

Re: Looking for Documentation: Management Network Related

Hey there,

When using 10GbE you should disable the 1GbE - (Level 2 support confimed)

And when it comes to management of the P4000. Have one computer / virtual or physical multihomed with no routing enabled on it and you should be fine. (This you ofc allready know)

As far as documentation of the non existing out of band managment of the nodes. Well, generally, you cant expect documentation to point this out.... "We don't have this feature" is something rarely seen :)

Br,

Christian

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

Yup, wack a second NIC in a computer, assign one NIC to the iSCSI network, the second to the management network.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

Are most of you guys keeping your iscsi network complety non-routed?  I have mine connected to my router (locked down tightly of course).  If it isn't routed and you are required to have a dual-homed management workstation, then I would think you also wouldn't be able to take advantage of things like remote snapshots or multi-site SANs.  I do it for the remote snapshots here and so I just made sure my firewall/houter blocks all traffice on the iSCSI network but traffic to my remote iscsi network and to my managment computer's IP.

CRiiser
Advisor

That is also one way to implement it. It would allow you to have the nodes under SNMP monitoring aswell as having them Email if errors etc.. So It is not so bad!

/Christian