1753842 Members
8380 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MDL Perfomance

5js

MDL Perfomance

For the G2 P4300 MDL starter san (16TB), can I expect better performance than the G1 SATA starter san. If so, by how much? I have 5 application servers with the following specs. This is a total read/write. The mail server has about 500 read iops out of the total. The largest app server has about 160 read iops out of the total. I would like to know if the MDL 16TB starter san is going to be okay.

App Server, 200
App Server, 11
App Server, 75
Email Server, 540
App Server, 20
2 REPLIES 2
Robert Lennie
Advisor

Re: MDL Perfomance

Well the drives are not spinning any faster - so relatively - no the performance off the drive is not changing. Sure you get benefits of the G3 platform - as far as CPU speeds, SAS interface, greener platform, etc. You'll probably see an increas from about 800 IOPS to about 900 IOPS. Sounds like it will need the immediate need - but you might want to consider either more nodes, or the 15K SAS drives.

You should engage you local HP sales team, and/or Partner to help you size this right.
5js

Re: MDL Perfomance

If you did the math, 16 MDL 7200RPM drives compared to the current config of 5 internal 10K SAS drives, do I loose performance if I go with the MDL. I think not but may not be a reliable as the SAS

Thanks for the response!