StoreVirtual Storage
1752662 Members
5381 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Managing Storage Group across WAN Link, possible?

Subversive
Advisor

Managing Storage Group across WAN Link, possible?

Hi Folks, just a question which I haven't been able to find the answer to in any documentation. I currently have a 2 node P4300 cluster running in a management group hosted at our office. We are deploying a co-located rack at a datacentre, with another 2 node cluster. We have a 100 MB direct link between our office and the datacentre. I have configured the networking and storage nodes. I can add them to my CMC at our site, they show up under available systems. However, when I try to either add them to our initial storage group (with the intention to create a new cluster) or if I try to create a new storage group, the operation does not succeed (I don't know where to look for logs on why it doesn't succeed).

I'm not intending this to be a multi-site cluster or anything, just two clusters at different sites, managed by 1 CMC at one of the sites. Is this not possible? I feel like a 100MB link (not a VPN, simply a direct, open pipe to the other site) should be enough bandwidth for management purposes. The latency when I ping the nodes from my management server is <1ms, so again, I don't think that's likely to be my issue. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Kirk Woloshyn
Occasional Contributor

Yes - it can be done. I'm managing two Management Groups at two sites 40 miles apart. There is a DS3 - 45M - connecting them. I have the CMC installed on machines in both sites and can manage both MGs from either site. I recently did a software upgrade on one of the MGs across the WAN by mistake but it went perfectly.

I originally had both MGs in the same building for the initial seeding of my remote copies but everything worked fine when I moved them apart.

Kirk

Subversive
Advisor

Ok, good to know. Well, I've got a case logged with HP Lefthand support, hopefully they get back to me soon and we can see why the cluster creation/MG creation is failing.

Any preference on putting a new cluster inside the existing MG or if creating a new MG for the nodes at the other site is better? I want to be able to run remote snapshots to nodes in both directions. Thanks.

Kirk Woloshyn
Occasional Contributor

I have separate MGs which are defined geographically. Within each MG are my clusters - one for production and one for replications/snapshots. There may be other ways but that's what works for me. The attached pic shows my layout.

Jitun
HPE Pro

As mentioned by Kirk, this is very much possible.
I hope you have configured the Gateways for the nodes to communicate to this Site.
Well, if they are seen in CMC under Available Systems, it should be fine. But would like a confirmation.

I would suggest 2 Management Groups.
As they are different Sites, I would prefer separate settings for them.
Separate Patch/Upgrade process.
Prefer managers on this Site not talking on the other side.

Hence, 2 Management Groups would be the best suggestion.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

Jitun
HPE Pro

I saw earlier that you had the Manager Starting/Stopping issue

The Manager is not able to communicate to other managers in the Management Group.

I would suggest checking the network settings on the Nodes in the Cluster and the ones added...

They should have same Frame Size and Flow Control settings.
Check the Ports that are required to be open.

PDF Attached.

I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

Subversive
Advisor

FWIW, this works fine now. I had some networking issues of my own creation which were causing the problems. Once I rectified those, everything worked as it should.