1753379 Members
5438 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Managing VSA's from a second network

Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

Managing VSA's from a second network

I am running two VSA's on ESX and want to be able to manage my VSA's from a seperate network than the network for iScsi traffic. According to a post in the old forum this should be possible --> http://vsaforum.lefthandnetworks.com/Topic316-14-1.aspx

At the moment I have my VSAs configured with two vnics in the following order:

eth0 = management network
eth1 = iScsi network
The SAN/iQ interface is configured for eth1

I have edited the hosts file on the Server with the Management Console so that the names of the VSA's point to the management network IP's. I can see the VSA's in the Console but cannot login...when I attempt to login the Console hangs for several minues and comes back with an "Login failed because connection reset" error. As a (temporary) workaround I have installed a Management Console on a machine in the iScsi network and from there everything works fine.

I suspect the problem may have to do with Firewall restrictions in the Management network. All traffic originating with the Management Server will go through to the VSA's but -- unless I request it specifically -- the VSA's cannot even communicate with each other. What ports & communication do I need to tell my network admins to let through in order to manage my VSA's from the Management Network?
8 REPLIES 8
Gauche
Trusted Contributor

Your config sounds right, and others do that exact same thing with the VSA in production.

You might be onto something if there are any firewall / routing rules in your way. There is a KB article / doc on the old lefthandnetworks.com website, but I don't know yet where that will show up on hp.com.
I'll go hunt it down and post a port list or link to the doc soon.
Adam C, LeftHand Product Manger
Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

I think I found the document you were referencing: http://www.lefthandnetworks.com/document.aspx?oid=a0e0000000000DpAAI

I'm still trying to puzzle it out, though...according to the document most of the communication originates with the Management Console (which in our configuration should be OK) and not with the VSA's.

You have mentioned a link to a document in your answer:
http://www.lefthandnetworks.com/document.aspx?oid=a0e0000000000DpAAI

This link now points to the HP Lefthand page. Can you please post a new correct link or tell me how you fixed the problem.

Thanks in advance
Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

I have not yet fixed my problem. As I neither work for HP nor Lefthand, I don't know what they have done with the Documentation. I can see if I saved it somewhere and post it if I find it.
Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

I just noticed you were from Germany, if you're writing on behalf of a customer we may be talking about the same problem ;-)
teledata
Respected Contributor

Jess1313
Advisor

Hi Rab_4,

Per the VSA Installation and Configuration Guide available for free at www.hp.com/go/p4000downloads:

Unsupported configurations
The following configurations that are possible using VMware ESX or Microsoft Hyper-V and the
VSA are specifically not supported for production use at this time.
тАв More than 2 NICs configured on the VSA for ESX Server.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

multi-homed systems just don't make sense with the SAN/iQ system.  The greatest advantage of it is the multi-site nature of the SAN which means that you have to have a routed SAN gateway anyway so...  there is no reason you can't have the SAN on one network and manage it from a 2nd.  This is exactly what I do.