108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Moving a cluster to a new management group

SOLVED
Go to solution
fourg
Advisor

Moving a cluster to a new management group

Have a P4000 management group with 4 clusters and a total of 17 nodes.  Would like to move 2 of these 4 clusters to a new management group.  What is the best path to take?

4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think there is a method for migrating clusters to a new management group. you will have to migrate the LUNs from the nodes and destroy those clusters and then remove those nodes from the management group and then create a new management group.

might I ask why you want to split out the management group?
fourg
Advisor

I'd prefer to simplify the upgrading process which I understand can only be done per management group within CMC.  Right now going through upgrades on 17 nodes all at once feels a bit like "too many eggs in one basket".

oikjn
Honored Contributor

that sounds like a decent plan.  You might want to ask support if they have some backdoor way to re-program a cluster to a new management group.  If they can't/won't, hopefully you have enough spare space in those clusters where you can migrate all the LUNs off of a cluster and remove it to create a new management group and then do remote snapshots to move the LUNs to the new group.

fourg
Advisor

I went ahead with the upgrade to 10.5 for this 17 node management group and it went very smoothly!  Impressed that it only two an hour and a half to complete.