StoreVirtual Storage
1748180 Members
4186 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multi-Site Cluster swap with new 10.5 nodes with existing 9.5 nodes, with Remote Copy v9 VSAs

sc0tt
Occasional Contributor

Multi-Site Cluster swap with new 10.5 nodes with existing 9.5 nodes, with Remote Copy v9 VSAs

Hi,

Getting ready for a Multi-Site (two sites) 12 node cluster swap where we're replacing all twelve 9.5 nodes with twelve 10.5 nodes, but also have 25 v9 VSAs doing Remote Copy to one of the sites.  There is a Remote Copy Schedule on each remote site VSA.  Is this okay to do without upgrading all existing nodes/VSAs?  Is there anything I should be concerned about?  Also, there have been intermittent problems with some of the older nodes in the exising cluster;  all nodes show "Normal" right now, but I was thinking I should submit the support logs for review before we do the swap.  We're planning on doing this this Friday evening.

Thank you,

2 REPLIES 2
Nobs
Regular Visitor

Re: Multi-Site Cluster swap with new 10.5 nodes with existing 9.5 nodes, with Remote Copy v9 VSAs

If you are upgrading management groups with Remote Copy associations, you should upgrade
the remote management groups first. If you upgrade the primary group first, Remote Copy may
stop working temporarily, until both the primary management group and the remote group have
finished upgrading. Upgrade the primary site immediately after upgrading the remote site.

Cross-Version Remote Copy allows for remote copies to be supported between management groups

that are running different LeftHand OS versions. For example, remote copy is supported between

a management group running LeftHand OS 10.x and a management group running LeftHand OS

9.x.

Reference Link;

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03670783/c03670783.pdf

I am an HPE Employee
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Pause the remote copies first.

it is best practice to upgrade the remote sites first.

However it should not be a problem for 10.x to remote copy to 9.x

Just on a side note it probably would be better to upgrade the remote site first just test the upgrade process.