108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple Failover Managers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
oikjn
Honored Contributor

I haven't tried the clone approach, but I would stay away from the clone idea.  It takes all of 3 minutes to migrate the FOM around so it will be no problem to just move it when you need to reboot its host.

We put our FOM on our DPM server.  We are a hyper-v shop and setup our DPM server as a VM on a dedicated host which just runs the DPM VM and the FOM and its been working well for us...  honestly, it might be "risky", but we just reboot the host with the FOM when needed as long as the other nodes on the SAN are up it just doesn't matter, but it would make for a slightly extended RTO time, but something we are OK with in our situation.  If we needed 99.9999999% then I would move it to another host so it never is at risk.

Avoid the clone because the stored data on it will be out of date and might end up being be more harm than good if you ever try and run it.

HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

Stay away from the clone approach ... it will not really work properly. The FOM keeps a current copy of the internal management database. Starting cloned FOMs some time after the clone process only makes sure that you will get your management group into a mess by running managers that do not have the same information.

GlenRB
Advisor

I see another issue here as well so someone tell me if I'm missing something.  You can have one FOM per management group.  So if the server that hosts the FOM becomes unavailable so does the FOM.  You will not be able to remove the existing FOM if you cannot communicate with it, but you will also not be able to add another one since the management group still knows about it.  It's a bit of a catch 22.  You can't remove a FOM you can't talk to but it will still be detected in the management group and give an error if you try to add one.

From my experience, I believe this will require a call to HP support to have them manually remove the orphaned FOM before you will be able to add another.