1752801 Members
5686 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Number of disks per RaidGroup P4500G2

gt2777
Advisor

Number of disks per RaidGroup P4500G2

P4500G2 has 12 disks. But I can put just 6 in a RaidGroup. Is it possible to put all 12 in the same RaidGroup for better Performance?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
gt2777
Advisor

Re: Number of disks per RaidGroup P4500G2

can' t believe nobody knows this!

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I can confirm that the P4300 with 8 disks has a 7+1 raid5 setup and the P4500 with 12 disks is 2 x 5+1 in raid5...

I never tried it differently, you cannot do it via the CMC itself. You should do it via the ORCA and I assume (but this is my opinion not HP) this is not supported...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly, the OS (SAN/iQ) is on a separate logical disk, but in the same disk drive array as a data logical disk. When you re-image the box from a restore-DVD, the SmartArray configuration is reset to a default setup.

gt2777
Advisor

thank you for the responses! this is a real good community!

i think it is really bad, that i can' t choose it by myself. I'd simply like to have one big raidgroup to have more I/O.

Who knows how to make that? i want one raidgroup with 12 disks..

thanks!!

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Why do you think that you will have more I/O's? In a Raid5 set all spindles will generate I/O, so this has nothing to do with 1 or 2 raid sets... So there will be no difference...

The only thing is that now you loose 2 times the size of a disk for RAID overhead...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
gt2777
Advisor

you are right

thanks