StoreVirtual Storage
1751854 Members
6248 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: One Management Group with three clusters running different versions of SAN/IQ

Jay Cardin
Frequent Advisor

One Management Group with three clusters running different versions of SAN/IQ

I have a single mangement group with three clusters.  

Two of the clusters are running SAN/IQ 8.5 while the third cluster is running 9.5 (just bought it)

The CMC is running 9.5

I have three questions:

1)  Do all of the clusters have to be on the same version for VAAI to be enabled?   I am seeing that my 9.5 cluster shows as unsupported or unknown.

2)  When I upgrade the rest of the clusters to 9.5, can I choose to only upgrade one cluster at that time or is it going to do the two running 8.5?

3) Since one cluster is already at 9.5, will running the upgrade on the other two affect that cluster?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Jay Cardin
Frequent Advisor

Re: One Management Group with three clusters running different versions of SAN/IQ

Bump. 

Anyone?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To enable VAAI, your nodes need at least 9.0 or higher... Also your connected servers must support VAAI...

Go in the CMC to Help - Preferences - Upgrades.

Change the Upgrade Selection Mode to Advanced.

Now you will be asked which updates you want to apply to which node...

So now you can choose what you want to upgrade when...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

why do you want to do this?  seems like no good reason to have one management group and not keep all nodes at the same level... why not split into two management groups?

Jay Cardin
Frequent Advisor

I am trying to control the upgrade process.  I want to upgrade the entire management group to 9.5 but I don't trust that volumes aren't going to go offline during the upgrade.  I've been burned three too many times where the LUNs dropped when 1 node went offline.  If I can force the upgrade to only one cluster at a time, I can Storage vMotion the servers off of the cluster that is being upgraded.