5723 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Only 2 Controllers to implement Multi site HA/VMWare with HP P4000

RafaelBianchini
Occasional Contributor

Only 2 Controllers to implement Multi site HA/VMWare with HP P4000

Hi all,

I want to know if I can implement a multisite HA/VMWare olution using P4000 with only 2 controllers.

I will put each one controllers in each site, and implement Network RAID 10.

Is it possible ?

Regards.

Rafael Bianchini

P.S.This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business) to HP StoreVirtual / HP LeftHand Storage- HP Forums Moderator

Rafael Bianchini
6 REPLIES 6
Northwoods
Frequent Advisor

Re: Only 2 Controllers to implement Multi site HA/VMWare with HP P4000

Yes you can. However, you'll also need to implement a virtual FOM instance for best practice and to keep the SAN up if a node goes offline.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

if this is really just for DR and you are thinking about it just because the features are included for free with the SAN/iQ software, I would advise you read the multi-site HA/DR readme first and then read it again.  A multi-site cluster, while available with the software you purchased, adds significant complications to your setup.  You really need three sites (the third can be a cheap hosted site w/ minimal bandwidth, but you really do need that third site) and bandwidth and latency between your two main sites become a major concern and any interruption to that will interrupt your SAN. 

Look at remote snapshot replaction before going to a multi-site san and only go to the multi-site option if you 100% have to have 100% uptime.  If you go remote snapshot, best practice is to run two management groups so you don't have to worry about multi-site quorum as well.  You can still do a good DR solution w/ remote snapshots with failover as well.

RafaelBianchini
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I'm looking for other information about this solution. Can you help me ?

I intend put one VMWare ESXi host more one P4300 Controller, with 7.2 Tb, in each local (2 sites in this case) and establish a Network RAID 10 with a dedicated and redundant optical fiber.

So, after i will configure VMWare HA to complete the DR and High Avaiability solution.

What do you think about this ? And the FOM, is it realy necessary in this case ? Remember, i will use only 2 controllers (enclousers) ( not 4 - 2 per site).

Basicaly, my project is (the SAN part) :

Site A                                   Site B

Host ESXi A                         Host ESXi B

| |                                          | |

SW ------------FO------------- SW

| |                                          | |

P4000 A                              P4000 B (just 1 controller per site)

Please, make comments.

Best regards.

Rafael Bianchini
oikjn
Honored Contributor

read the manual and HA guide as listed on the P4000 software page.  It will answer all of your questions.

Yes you must have a FOM and technially a 3rd site.  Think about a failover solution and how it will be handled.  Control of the cluster is handled through a voting quorum... it is impossible to get a majority vote with TWO members, the minimum needed is three which means a FOM for automatic failover or a virtual manager for manual failover, but if you are actually trying to do a multi-site cluster, you would be totally contradicting yourself if in one breath you say you require multi-site and the other breath you say I'm ok with manually restoring quorum.

Why do you think you need a true multi-site cluster and not just go with using remote replication for DR?

RafaelBianchini
Occasional Contributor

I'm thinking about P4000 multisite because i want to delivery a automatic failover / dr project whithout VMWare SRM.

Rafael Bianchini
oikjn
Honored Contributor

really read that HA manual HP provides.  The multi-site feature is included with the Lafthand software, but the cost for you to actually impliment it successfully is typically much more significant.  Have you considered latency/bandwidth/uptime of your VPN?  Those costs typically make multi-sites a no-go for anybody who is thinking about doing it just because its available. 

The HA/DR manual from HP is very complete with what is needed so it shoudl answer all of your questions.  The critical issue is that you cannot skimp on the latency/bandwith to the remote site as that is likely to be your slowest point in the system and for a multi-site cluster the data has to be written to both before the write is confirmed.