5038 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4000/LeftHand and cross subnet

Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

P4000/LeftHand and cross subnet

Hi!

I have a urgent question, but have not been able to find the answer in the documentation.

Does a LeftHand-cluster support the nodes being divided between different subnet, but the disks only made visible through one subnet?

If possible, please point me to the right part of the documentation addressing this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Danny Petterson
4 REPLIES 4
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Well, I have to admit, some I missed some obvious thins here. It is of cause possible using MultiSite. However, I still have some issues:

If I have a MultiSite Cluster, spanning two subnets, one subnet for each site, the documentation states, that a server only connects (using MPIO) to storagenodes on the same subnet. But what if the storagenodes on this subnet, for some reason, stops to work?

Then the server can't access the data on the other site/subnet, without being manually reconfigured.

Or is it possible to let MPIO talk to both subnets, making the server still being able to connect to the data, if storagenodes on one subnet fails?

Thanks in advance.

/Danny
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

You could break the subnet up into two parts using the mask. That would fix your multisite question with MPIO. But remember your link between sites should be pretty high as you will be limited by your WAN connection.

Just as an aside, you CAN connect over seperate subnets (meaning it will work), but it is not recommend. The performance may suffer depending on your network design and equipment.
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Thanks a lot for your answer.

As for the WAN, no problem, it is really not a WAN, but a very stretched LAN with very high speed. The reason for the two subnets, is to prevent network-noise, such as broadcasts, between the two centers.

Usually we do not use P4000 as storage, normally its EVA or XP, but for branch office, and for backup/replicaton of data stored at VSA's/P4000 in the branches,we will use a multisite P4500 in our main datacenters.

Regarding your last comment:

"Just as an aside, you CAN connect over seperate subnets (meaning it will work), but it is not recommend. The performance may suffer depending on your network design and equipment."

Does this mean a host can connect to a P4000-volume in a different subnets than the one where the host reside? In short, mounting through a route? Even though it is not recommended, is it supported?

Again, thanks a lot, appreciate your time.

Kind regards
Danny
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Danny,

You can absolutely route to the storage over different subnets (again, though it's not recommended). I wouldn't suggest it on production level equipment, but it does work just fine. Typically I'll connect to a snapshot from my workstation to pull off older files and the such. I'm jumping from a switch stack on a seperate subnet through a fiber connection to our core, then to our SAN subnet.

I'm not sure if MPIO will work over a different subnet as I've never tested that, but a single link works fine for me.