New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4000 Lefthand v12.0 cluster swap - problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

P4000 Lefthand v12.0 cluster swap - problem

Hi Gurus,

I have a old 6 node hw based P4000 in a cluster, and have added to new VSA's (with a 3Par backend), with more space than available on the old 6 nodes to the management group, and want to do a cluster swap, where the 6 old nodes are replaced with the 2 new. However, I can only do 1->1 System Swap, which is not the thought, as the two nodes ultimately should take over for the 6 old ones.

What am I missing here? I thought I was well prepared, however, apparently I was not :-( I have tried to read whatever relevant manuals I could find, but no luck so far.

Any hints, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yours
Danny

6 REPLIES 6
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

As an alternative, I just tried to use Add And Remove Storage Systems to remove the six old nodes, and add the two new, but that fails with "cannot reserve space on tthe stores, status is out_of_space"

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

you should create a new cluster with the 2 VSA's under the same management group

first make sure your hosts see both clusters (add the new VIP to the hosts)

and do peer motion of all your data from one cluster to the other (right click voume edit choose new cluster).

because your new nodes have more capacity adding them to your old cluster means you

lose capacity as new node will only have the same capacity as the old ones.

after you moved all data to the new cluster you can delete the old one

Regards

give a Kudo if this helps

Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply - however, that approach presents a challenge, as it will have to be a cluster with another virtual IP, which will then mean that we have disruption.

Or am I missing something?

Again, thanks.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

if the new cluster is under the same management group and the server is aware of this cluster ( add the new Virtual IP to the host). to make sure you can test a small temporary disk just to see your host can work with the new cluster.

Then changing the virtual volume from cluster to cluster is not disruptive you just edit the virtual volume and on the advanced tab choose the new cluster.

Regards

Give a Kudo if this helps

Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your time adn reply - however, we do not want an extra cluster in the mgmt-group, as we want the transistion to be transparrent for all the hosts running on the system.

Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor
Solution

We solved it using Add And Remove Systems - the reason it failed in the first placee was, that the new storage systems was put in sites, and the system could not redistribute when they were setup like this.

After removing the two new VSA's from the relevant sites, the function for Add And Remove....worked, and tye system is restriping....and will continue to do that for the next couple of days.

Thanks for your time.