Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P4000 Load Balancing/Gateway Connections/

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

P4000 Load Balancing/Gateway Connections/

Hello,

When enabling load-balancing on my servers (in the CMC), would this ensure the volume access is spread across multiple storage nodes? In my cluster I have three storage nodes and a dozen volumes (network raid-10). After rebooting a storage node I noticed all of the gateway connections to my volumes are using  two of the storage nodes. It was using all three prior to the reboot.

I was expecting some of the volumes to switch their gateway to the third storage node after the reboot, but this is not the case. I even started IOmeter to drive up the throughput to see if they might distribute the load across the third node, but it never happens.

Will the cluster ever balance its connections across all of the storage nodes or am I misunderstanding how load-balancing works? Is there a trigger to move gateways between storage nodes?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

Re: P4000 Load Balancing/Gateway Connections/

Sessions should get balanced automatically. It takes 5 to 10 minutes.

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Re: P4000 Load Balancing/Gateway Connections/

Thanks for the reply ajamil. All of my volumes gateway connections are still only using two of the three storage nodes after about 36 hours. Does the cluster need to see a certain amount of congestion or traffic before it will switch?