New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4000 Storage 1Gig & 10Gig Multiple Network Cards

SOLVED
Go to solution
rianui
Trusted Contributor

P4000 Storage 1Gig & 10Gig Multiple Network Cards

Dear Gurus,

I have a question regarding this storage. I have a client with one that has been using 1Gig ports for LUN access. Now the client wants to add 10Gig network ports and use the 10Gig for LUN access and the 1Gig for something else....replication maybe. Is this workable? Any documentation to read up?

Regards,

Rianui

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

no real point.  replication is done in-band for this SAN so it really doesn't help you to split things up.

Manfri
Frequent Advisor

as said you cannot dedicate the 1gb nic for replication, and im not sure you can use 10GB and 1GB mixed in a team where the 10GB is the active and 1GB is passive ( for backup ).

Sure it is a weird configuration.

Keep in mind that i remember ( but things change ) that with 2 10GB you must use an active passive aggregation ( no lacp or alb ) but i do not think that a p4000 node can saturate a 10GB link anyway.

HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

As said the replication is done in-band, i.e. using the iSCSI interface of the nodes. Hence if you use the 10GbE NICs for the iSCSI connectivity, then the replication traffic is using the 10GbE NICs.

You can only split the iSCSI (host, replication) traffic from the management traffic (snmp, email alert), by using the 1GbE NICs in a second bond. But please make sure that you assign the correct bond (the 10GbE NICs) as the LeftHand OS or SANiQ communication interface (this is one of Communication Tasks that you can find in the Communication tab of the Network on each Storage System).

Gursanjit S Bajwa
Occasional Contributor

As per HP, the ideal combination going 10G is (10G/1G bond) with 10G as active and 1G passive. We recently ordered the upgrade kits for all SAN nodes to go use this configuration, saving us 10G ports with using the 10G/10G bond. 

For the In-band this is a good combination, as it helps speed up restripes during the Volume move between 2 clusters within the same MG or for remote bandwidth for remote copies. I doubt the DB servers will be able to utilize the 10G by themselves.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

makes sense with 10G ports cost high.  10Gb active + 10Gb passive would be really ideal, but 1Gb passive is infinitely better than having no failover network path :)