4615 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P4000 and Extreme Networks Switches?

Lefty
Occasional Advisor

P4000 and Extreme Networks Switches?

Hello all,

I am in a planning and design phase for P4000 for a multi-site cluster and have some questions about the networking.

Anyone used Extreme Switches with P4000?

We have been recommeded Extreme x460.
http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit-x460.aspx

Anyone with experience regarding this? Please post!

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Lefty
Occasional Advisor

Re: P4000 and Extreme Networks Switches?

Right... we are planning to use dedicated switches for iscsi traffic. 2 switches at each site for redundancy.

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

I've not used them but have heard some very nice things about them (not specific to P4000) - I would be amazed if they weren't a great choice.

The only thing I would ask is whether you've a reason to be looking at such a high-end switch?
Lefty
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Paul for your reply.

The Extreme x460 was initially recommended by a consultant, but we have yet to speak with an SE from Extreme. Perhaps a smaller model will be recommended.

According to HP P4000 tech pre-sale it is highly recommended with a switch with flow control and 768-1024 kb port buffer per port. Extreme uses a dynamic port buffer that is assigned on demand if I understood correctly.

AFAIK the x460 is roughly half the price from the HP-recommended Procurve E6600.

Any more suggestions, experiences or similar - please post! :)

Thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I am currently working on a project with P4000 and DL380 G6/G7 servers split over two sites where the customer is providing 10 GbE Extreme switches (don't know the model though). Everything is working fine so far.
Lefty
Occasional Advisor

If you have oppurtunity to ask what model they are using I would apprecieate it.

Also how they configured redundancy.