1751976 Members
4658 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4000 with Multi Site San

samaoas
Frequent Advisor

P4000 with Multi Site San

I have 4 nodes of P4300 storage. I am planning to install 2 nodes in first site and antoher 2 nodes in second site. So if my first site is down, i need the data on second site..
For this do i need to create one cluster and two different cluster ?? I get confused between the cluster and sites ?... can anyone explains...
4 REPLIES 4
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
You need to do one management group and one cluster and create as a multi-site SAN. You also need to do network raid10 (10+1 or 10+2) for all the volumes you wish to remain online in the event of a total site failure.
It would also be a good idea to have a FOM on a logical third site so that quorum is maintained in the event of a total site failure. You could use a VM instead if you wish instead of a FOM. Do all that and you should have the resilience you require from the P4000 side of things.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Russ Couch

Create a multi-site cluster with 2 nodes in each site. Doing this will ensure the nodes split any RAID 10 data between sites and give you your site redundancy.

Cheers
Russ..
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Generally speaking... there are 2 methods you can use with Lefthand storage to protect your data...

The first has been mentioned. Basically, you set up a Multi-site cluster and all your volumes use NR10+1 or better. When data is stored on a volumn, a copy of the data is made at both sites (NR+1), or 2 copies are made (NR10+2). The higher the NR10+x, the less space you have available.

The second method would be to replicate your data across your site links. The drawback to this is that the data... at best... will be slightly out of sync. The way replication works is this...

At the primary site, a schedule is set up to make a "Remote Copy" of your data. The RC runs and then copies out to the backup site. The shortest interval you can set for this to happen is 30 minutes. You could set up multiple schedules, but you have to be aware of how long it takes to "copy" the current snapshot to the remote site.

Both methods have different set up requirements. If you have the bandwidth and low latency requirements covered, then setting up a multi-site cluster is probably the better choice.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
I have a low bandwidth between the sites. Line speed is 1 MB Leased line. With this line what is the best solution i can achieve with p4000??

FOM- I have configured FOM in ESX server as a virtual machine. This ESX server is connected to the p4000 storage only.. Is this a right method or i have to use any other stand alone machine for FOM ??

I think if one of my storage goes down , then my FOM also gone... so there is no use of keeping FOM in P4000 it self. Also i read in the FOM document , it says, Running FOM in p4000 solution is not use... Will you pls explain about this ?