StoreVirtual Storage
1748041 Members
5376 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

P4300 G2-Faulty disk status after replacing a bad disk.

achile_elhou
Occasional Contributor

P4300 G2-Faulty disk status after replacing a bad disk.

good morning,

i replaced a faulty disk of my P4300 G2 with a new disk, after the rebuilding operation, the status of the new disk is Faulty !!!

what is the problem please ?

4 REPLIES 4
Gediminas Vilutis
Frequent Advisor

Re: P4300 G2-Faulty disk status after replacing a bad disk.

I had similar situation with one P4500 G2 node (SMART marked newly inserted disk as faulty) with 3 disks. After I raised a case to HP support, they suggested to replace 6 drives at once (problem was that during raid rebuild faulty drives were generating a lot of errors and newly inserted drive was marked as faulty because of that). After changing these 6 drives (and rebuilding raid from scratch) problem went away.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

could also just be a bad drive...  it does happen.  The first rebuild is the first time its really getting stressed and that could have been enough to knock it out.  It sucks, but it can and does happen.  Other thing that can happen is that disks tend to die in groups when they came from the same mfg. lot under the same operating conditions.  I just finished replacing 6 drives out of an 18 drive group (not a Pxxx node) that has been running without issue since 2011 and then suddenly one drive died followed by another and then another up to 6!...  fortuately it was between two R6 groups and while I did get down to losing two disks in a single group at one time, I was able to get everything back 100% before I actually lost the entire group.  

Point is...  HDDs fail all the time, and so its not impossible that you just go a bad one.  This is exacly why we went with the StoreVirtual Solution as there is the Node redundancy level on top of the raid level which provides extra protection.

achile_elhou
Occasional Contributor

And now, what about my new disk, is it lost ?

we spent a lot of time to find it....my boss will not like that.

is there a pissibility to reset the SMART errors of the disk ?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

if smart says its bad, I wouldn't trust it with production data.  HP should replace it under warranty.  You wouldn't be the first person to get a DOA disk and you won't be the last.  

Only chance at a save would be if the disk firmware isn't current and it just needs a firmware update... but thats a long-shot... it was most likely DOA.