1752826 Members
3953 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P4500 Gen1-- adding new used node?

HP_hardware
Occasional Advisor

P4500 Gen1-- adding new used node?

Have a P4500 virtualization setup running 2 G1 nodes and a FOM.  Since this is G1 equipment we are stuck at 9.5.x OS but need to add capacity and try to stretch this unit another year or two.  I have access to a used G1 node that has had it's drives cleared and has no OS onboard.  I would like to add this to the cluster as a regular node, as opposed to using one of our VSA licenses on it.  What do I need to buy in the way of licensing to get this node to where it would be usable, or would I be better off just putting loading ESX and VSA on it?

Thanks,

DG

4 REPLIES 4
a_o
Valued Contributor

Not exactly sure what you mean by "you have access to" the NSM.
All NSMs have a license tied to their MAC address.
Did you activate this P4500 previously?

You would just need to re-install SAN I/Q 9.5 on the P4500 hardware.
You don't need to start from 8.5, you can download 9.5 if you don't have the installation disc, and install it directly on the hardware.

During the installation, put the activation key that was previously sent to you when it was originally activated onto the USB stick.
If you don't have the key, you could just re-host it with the fulfilment code for the NSM on the HP Poetic Portal.

Otherwise, you'll need to get in touch with HP support to complete the last step.

HP_hardware
Occasional Advisor

This is a storage node that was donated to my school district, so I have no prior licensing for it.  So I'm guessing that to re-image the SanIQ software onto it and get it activated I'd need to buy licensing for the same features I have enabled on  my current nodes.   So I guess that's the essence of the question-- will HP/LH sell the feature licensing/activation separate from the hardware?  Or should I just view this as an available storage lump and load VSA on it?  I'm worried about performance if I go the latter route...

Thanks,

DG

a_o
Valued Contributor

HP_hardware
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, that sheds a lot of light.  I believe I can use AT004-63101 package instead of AX694-63101 and have found a new one available.  Worst case, I put a VSA license on it. 

Best,

DG