1752603 Members
5030 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4500 LHN SAN site failure

BryanGabriel
Occasional Visitor

P4500 LHN SAN site failure

We have (2) P4500 Left Hand Network SAN's. We had 1 site have a "water" issue and the SAN in that location is DEAD. We still have our SAN in the secondary Location as well as the FOM. However the volumes are NOT accessible. Is there a way to remove the theoretically functional server and get it back online? I need it to get the data off and move to a new san that is working properly. I believe the SANS were setup with 10 Network RAID Mirroring and RAID5 on the disk level on each device. This was inherited by me so I will try to answer any questions.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BG

4 REPLIES 4
a_o
Valued Contributor

I think you need to first look into why your LUNs are down.
Unless you were using NR0 for your LUNs, they should be accessible, especially if the FOM is at the same location as the NSM that's still up.
The whole point of a SAN I/Q cluster is to avoid a situation like this in case of a single node failure.

Can you see the working NSM in the CMC? what about the FOM?
What does it show in the CMC about the status/health of the MG, Clusters and LUNs?

If you can get your LUNs back up, then you can easily add a new node (i.e. a repaired  one) back into the cluster and have full redundancy back.
Without working LUNs, there's nothing to move  or restore to another node per-se.

I would call support if you can't see the working NSM in CMC.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

++ what a_o said. if you have your SAN setup as you claim, you should have access to your data now. Call support ASAP.

Good luck. Please post back to let us know how long support took to sort you out.
BryanGabriel
Occasional Visitor

I can see the "working" san in CMC. Its raid status is Normal, R5. Storage system not ready, Manager Normal. SAN/iQ connection. FOM is also working. Manager Normal. It appears these systems were never assigned to a site. So I'm not sure if that means it doesn't understand how to failover.

Ill get with tech support and try to figure out if anything is salvageable. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

bg

oikjn
Honored Contributor

definitely get support.  Sounds like you are a real beginner here. 

If the nodes were not assigned to a site, its possible that even with network raid 10, the two mirrored sets of data were stored at the same site which pretty much negates the point of having two sites which means you are screwed until the other site comes back online.  In addition it means you will need to have someone who knows what they are doing setup the SAN correctly.

I would be looking for whomever setup your SAN originially and who maintained it and go after them for negligence for whatever you can.

At this point you need professional help :-/  sorry for the bad news.

The good news is that if you sit down and spend the time to read the manuals online that HP publishes, you should be able to get up to speed by the time everything is getting sorted out to be able to maintain it yourself afterwards...  it really isn't that difficult if you have an IT mind.