5800 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P4500 Multi-Site Cluster Conversion into Single-Site Cluster

lex_11
Occasional Advisor

P4500 Multi-Site Cluster Conversion into Single-Site Cluster

Hi There,

a customer of ours has an existing P4500 Multisite cluster which needs to be consolidated into a Single Cluster environment, so that all nodes which were previously configured for two site now are consolidated into a single cluster site.

The nodes are already located physically at one site, now we would like to consolidate them from the existing multisite environment into a single cluster environment. Can this be done online? IF yes what would be the exact procedure for this task?

Can you please give us some advices or best practice guide about this topic?

Thanks a lot for your response!

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Stephan_K
HPE Pro

Hi Lex_11,

you could just delete the sites if you prefer. Perhaps an restripping will occur where the data will be  restriped in order. So Data A will be on first node and copy of A on the second one. If they are in that order inside the cluster nothing will hapen.

But the volumes will stay alway online during restripe/change.

So you could also leave it as it is or what is the reason for the change ?

Take care that you will still need an an odd count of managers in your managment group.

Kind regards

Stephan

I am an HPE employee.
lex_11
Occasional Advisor

Hi Stephan_K, thanks for the response.

our primary goal is get more performance out of the nodes, we hope to achive that by converting it to a single site cluster. As we only have one site, there is no nedd for the multisite enviroment and redundancy.

Cheers

Stephan_K
HPE Pro

Performance improvment, okay if you have windows and use storevirtual MPIO to connect to all nodes of one site.

Redundancy: I wouldnt recommend NOT to use Network Raid 1-0 anymore, or Please stay at Network-Raid 1-0. Otherwise you cant install patches without downtime.

Kind regards

Stephan

I work for HP.

I am an HPE employee.
oikjn
Honored Contributor

definitely don't go less than NR10.

That said, if you moved the sites to the same location and the LUNs were already at NR10 (and not NR10+1), then you should already see the performance improvements and shouldn't really get any more unless you are using the HP DSM wihch is site aware and would then only be using 1/2 the nodes.

converting to a single site is simple... really too simple ;)  just edit the site lists and move the nodes and the servers to the same site.  The CAUTION is that this will likely cause a data RESTRIPE on the luns, so make sure you take that into account.