1752796 Members
5698 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P45000 HDD offline

Stuart Death
Occasional Advisor

P45000 HDD offline

Hi, according to the logs, one of the HDD's in our P4500 went offline for exactly 1 second! Can't find any reason for it and it is working fine now, is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

May be an erroneous logging. Do you have the most up to date ADU software and Raid Controller/Drive firmware? If yes, I'd wait to see if it happens again. If not, I'd suggest getting fully up to date.
Stuart Death
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanks for that. The drive firmware is up to date but the array controller isn't.

Do you know of a central firmware download point for the P4500 (firmware CD?) or do we have to download individual components?

When you say ADU do you mean ACU? There isn't one on the P4500 is there?

Thanks.
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

ADU is the array diagnostic utility. You should also be able to access controller and drive info via SMH (system management home page) which you can access via https://your-P4500-IP-Address:2381.
The latest firware update CD available for DL180 should have all the latest firmware and drivers for drives and controllers.
Stuart Death
Occasional Advisor

Hmm, that's interesting. The P4500 that we have doesn't have the SMH! The version we have is the HP Lefthand P4500, not the G2. Should this have the HP software installed? Is there a way of installing it?

As for the firmware CD.....thanks.

Just for info the same thing reoccured last night.

May 25 14:02:28 sannode2 hydra: Drive 7 Status = Off or removed. Value changed.

May 25 14:03:28 sannode2 hydra: Drive 7 Status = Active. Value changed.
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

I think the latest Firmware for the controller is 7.08. I had to download it seperately from the HP Firmware Update CD.

You also want to make sure you have the most up to date backplane firmware. IIRC the current version is 2.02. Take a little more work to verify the version, you need to run a diagnostic and download the hpadu.log file. In the log, look for Smart Array P400 in slot 1 : Storage Enclosure 1 - Then look for Product Revision. If you are < 2.02, you need to update. Just as a side note, if you need to update the backplane....it takes a while. The firmware update will look like it locks (as the timer will stop), but give it a while and it will complete. I think it took ~8-10 minutes for me.

Once you have these both up to date, if you see the issue again...call support and get the drive replaced (hopefully it is the drive and not the backplane).
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Oh, and here's the latest CD as well:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-cdee9b93a98c43bb95653f9d41&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Just do a search for Firmware Maintenance CD (Version 8.70 I think). You'll need to download the additional software on to a USB stick for the Controller Firmware and Backplane as well. Just search for the version and you should find them.
Stuart Death
Occasional Advisor

Great, thanks. I'll give that a go and report back. Thanks for your help.