4767 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4800 G2 Network Details

Xubair
Occasional Contributor

P4800 G2 Network Details

Hi,

While installing P4800 G2 (2 node), at startup (first time) it ask for login and after login I can provide network details for two network connections (eth0 & eth 1). Want to ask if these connections are only for management purpose (with CMC) or Storage traffic will also go with the same network interface.

If these are only mgmnt interfaces then how and fromwhere to configure interfaces for iSCSI (Storage) traffic ?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor

the HP system has the iscsi traffic and management traffic on the same network/subnet.  I believe the hardware has an OOB management port that you can connect to a management network, but the management of the san is all done on the iscsi network. 

read the manuals for setup.  they walk you through everything you need to configure both the targets and the initiators. 

Casper42
Respected Contributor

Correct, even though you might be seeing 8 Virtual NICs because of Virtual Connect, for some reason the P4800 does not support splitting Mgmt and iSCSI onto different NICs like the P4500 does.
KFM_1
Advisor

@Casper42 wrote:
Correct, even though you might be seeing 8 Virtual NICs because of Virtual Connect, for some reason the P4800 does not support splitting Mgmt and iSCSI onto different NICs like the P4500 does.

I'd appreciate if you can please verify your claim that doing a split network config for the P4800 is not supported.  I can't find any documents that support your claim.

I'm not doubting your comments (on the contrary) but I've come across some inconsistencies when the P4800 has been configured with split networking.  In my scenario, I have a VC Server Profile defined as:

• 4 FlexNICs
  • Management_A - 3Gb
  • Management_B - 3Gb
  • iSCSI_A - 7Gb
  • iSCSI_B - 7 Gb

A bond with the two management FlexNICs and a second bond with the two iSCSI FlexNICs has been created.

With the above server profile, in HP CMC there is an alarm reporting "EID_NIC_LINK_SLOW".  Additionally, for that server under the TCP Status tab, the Speed/Method shows "Auto/Auto" for all NICs which I've never seen before.

Yet if I configure the management NICs to be 1Gb and the iSCSI to be 9Gb, the alarm goes away and the Speed/Method shows "1000Mbs" for the management bond and "9000Mbs" for the iSCSI bond.

Any combination other than 1Gb for management and 9Gb for iSCSI throws the "EID_NIC_LINK_SLOW" warning.

So you see I can relate to your comment about it not being supported because we're getting funny inconsistencies with the NIC speeds.  I just cannot find any documents supporting the claim.

Note that everything still works just fine!

Prakash Singh_1
HPE Pro

Hi,

For StoreVirtual/P4000 SAN solutions querries you can also visit the HP Guided troubleshooting tree.

Below is the link for HPGT:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-905&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=304617&h_audience=smb&h_client=s-h-e010-1&h_audiencerestrict=true&lang=en&cc=us

I work for HP

Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!