4488 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PROBLEMS VIRTUAL STORAGE APPLIANCE 2014

TECHDISOFT
Regular Visitor

PROBLEMS VIRTUAL STORAGE APPLIANCE 2014

Hello,

I have two server HP DL380P with HyperV and VSA installed on both. (VSA1 on first server and VSA2 on second server)

I have a problem with my virtual machine VSA1.(Please,view attachment)

Randomly it go down. I don't understand... Why? I can't ping it,the network is down too. I must restart VSA1 to have it OK. Why?

*Attachment screenshot VSA1(have any problem) and VSA2 (is OK)

Can you help me?

Regards

Renato

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor

you say this happens randomly?  Does it happen under load?  Check the host logs for any errors.  The VSA does stress the host for HDD access performance and if the underlying structure is having a problem it could time out which could cause the VSA to crash.  Usually it doesn't get that far, but I would check that out first.  If the VSA isn't huge and it doesn't take too long to rebuild, you could always just try rebuilding it and exchanging it out to see if there was just some corruption issue on the VSA OS drive, but these things are really virtual appliances so when one has a problem its usually the host that is having the problem.

TECHDISOFT
Regular Visitor

yes,the problem seem random...

Now the system is OK (yesterday too).The two server proliant have same configuration(same partitions etc...) and have just been installed.(exactly December 2014 with firmware updated)

when i restarted my vsa1,the system went in resync. (now is OK)

if I update it? (view attachment)

Could this solve my problem?

Regards

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I would apply all updates to the nodes.

You might want to try using perfmon on the host to monitor hyper-v host performance to see if you are having an issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/03/10/windows-server-2012-hyper-v-best-practices-in-easy-checklist-form.aspx 

read through that link as its a good resource for how to setup your host.

TECHDISOFT
Regular Visitor

thanks a lot,

first of all i will apply the VSA's Patches, ok?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

yes.  there haven't been any new patches in a long time so all the ones out are stable and some make some fixes so its definitely best to get all your nodes up to the current patch level.