1748089 Members
4966 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performance and vMotion problems with VSA 9.5 and ESXi 5.0

lumoder
Occasional Advisor

cheazell, I don't clearly understood what is " reinstall path". Are you planning to reinstall VSAs?
ccavanna
Advisor

If you have a 3rd box and storage you can setup one on their. Otherwise you will have to rip out the old vsa then rebuild and bring it into the management group. Make sure the FOM is up and running if you are going to do this otherwise you will lose quarom and everything will go down. Its not very pretty but it works I just did one 2 weeks ago. If you don't have a good knowledge of it maybe contact support and see what their thoughts are.

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Ted,

Do you have a link to that document? Thanks.

ccavanna
Advisor

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

I don't see any recommendations regarding the numbers of IOPS per path in that document.

lumoder
Occasional Advisor

Well... I have done a lot of tests and I have detected my problem. In my case, errors described above had been produced by reservation conflicts of VMware and Windows multi-pathing plugins. I have Windows host with Veeam Backup and Replication installed that have iSCSI connection to volumes dedicated to VMware hosts as datastores. When I have uninstalled HP DSM for MPIO from my Windows host my VSAs works well! There are no errors in logs! I suppose, that VMware and HP multipathing plugins cannot share one volume correctly. I have case opened in VMware support for this problem and tell you about any solution from VMware. Additionally, I will try clean 9.5 install (not 9.0 upgrade to 9.5) and compare performance.

Does anyone have recommendations or some guide to choose value of IOPS parameter? My environment consists of four BL680c ESXi hosts with two VSA's volumes connected and about 40 "standard" VMs (two vCPUs, 2 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD). What value of IOPS will be betters solution for my environment?

Additionally, in HP CMC I have noticed some disk queue on VSAs. Maybe it is produced by improper IOPS parameter?

cheazell
Advisor

Ok. So in this instance you remove it from the Management group which then breaks the Mirror (Network RAID 10). Either build a new v9 VSA or roll straight to the 9.5 VSA and attach the Disks in the Edit settings of the VM. Rejoin it to the Management group and allow the Mirror to take place. Once that is done you then repeat on the other unit. Does that sound about right?