108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question About RAID and NRAID

SWDGuy
Occasional Advisor

Question About RAID and NRAID

Hi, I just setup a 2 node cluster HP P4500 G2
but I┬┤m not sure about the config.
Each Node is on Raid 5 but the Volumes are on NRAID-0. In the case of a failure disk on each node are the Volumes stay online or the sistem will goes down ?

I┬┤m a little confused about it.
I have to put the Volumes in NRAID 0 cause the space the customer needs.
5 REPLIES 5
SWDGuy
Occasional Advisor

Another questions I have are here.

If I have A cluster with 2 Nodes in Raid 5 and all the volumes are in Nraid 0 I guess that if one of the nodes goes down I going to loose all the data right ?

talking about Patches How do i Know wich patches do i have to install if i have SANIQ 8.5, Do I have to install all the patches found at the HP web site ??

It is necessary to install always the MPIO DSM ??

To tramitate the License for the P4500 I have to use the Mac of Nic Number 1 of each node right?

Sven Duthoo
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The way I see it, if one disk fails in a node, the node is still working. If a disk fails in the other node, that node is also still ok.
So imho your NRAID0 volumes will still be available.
If you lose 2 disks in one node, the node can go down and your NRAID0 volumes will be down as well.

I don't like the idea of NRAID0, but as you already mentioned, the customer needs the space and the customer is always right :-)

Kind regards,

Sven
If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Just think of the relationship(s) regarding RAID.

You have raid 5 on your nodes... As stated, you can lose 1 disk and be ok. (each node)

You have Network Raid 0 on your volume... same as raid 0.. if you lose a disk, you are SoL. Well in thise case... the "disk" is actually the whole server so whatever it takes to "lose" the server.. 2 physical disks in the same array (assuming you have 12 disks, you probably have 2 RAID5 arrays.

If so, than theoretically you can lose 1 disk from each array and still be ok, but losing a 3rd disk would drop the box.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
SWDGuy
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, for the info.
Now Im having problems doing the failover test.
when I disconnect one of the ports of the Node the copy process fails so I guess I have to bond the Nics and check the iSCSI initiator configs

Any clue ??

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If you did not bond the nics to begin with... than yes. The default is not bonded.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)