108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Reclaiming Space from a thin provisioned netword raid-5 volume

SOLVED
Go to solution
oikjn
Honored Contributor

yes you are right.  StoreVirtual not StoreServ.  Still getting used to the new names.  Glad to see you are here.  I wouldn't say 34 posts in ~1900 days since registering is perticualy active anywhere, but I do get it isn't your job.  IMO it is the job of the product manager to manage the product line and I'm shocked he/she appears to care nothing for this site.  Its not like this is hosted on a random 3rd party site, this is through HP and this is a cheap easy way to keep in contact with the primary users of the product...  assigning someone on the StoreVirtual team to monitor the forum for an hour a week would likely provide more value to the team in terms of understanding how their product is actually used and the issues and concerns real users actually have than any amount of coding that person might manage in that hour.

Gediminas Vilutis
Frequent Advisor

v12, according to a few months old data, should be out in January, but only god knows, for how long it will be postponed this time. HP for sure wont tell us :) Unmap is promised to be there.

For all those, who wants to run away from LHands. So far, if your SAN is iscsi based, I would stay away from 3PAR as well. We have a mixed environment with LHs and 3PARs and performance of 3PARs over iSCSI is much worse, than LH. Over FC 3PAR works like a champ, so I guess, iscsi subsystem on 3PAR is not much cleaned/optimised/debuged after it was implemented. When i complained about that to HPs regional storage 'evangelist', he said 'well, 3par is FC-born array with iSCSI connectivity, when LH was doing iSCSI before iSCSI was standartized, so what do you want from it?" :(

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Thanks for sharing this information!

TechMarketing
Visitor

T10 Unmap (Space Reclamation) will be included within the next release of the LeftHand OS. The next release is 12.0.  

oikjn
Honored Contributor

source please.

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

@oikjn wrote:

source please.

Hi everyone - apologies that I've been delayed in coming back to you. With the HP shutdown and lots of things happening, I forgot to come back to you here.  A couple of general comments:

1. As I've read through this thread again, I see lots of people questioning HP's commitment to StoreVirtual.  I can assure you that HP is committed to StoreVirtual and there is a significant engineer team working on it.  If you're paying attention to the marketing of storage these days, I'm sure you see lots of discussions about software-defined storage (SDS). SDS is a strategic initiative in HP Storage and StoreVirtual is key to that. 
  2. I've asked the StoreVirtual team to write a blog post about the enhancements we've had with StoreVirtual. Obviously T-10 UNMAP is a big deal and none of us are happy that its taken longer than we wanted, but I hope the blog post Brad Katz and team are working on helps you see the forest through the trees - there's been a lot happening with StoreVirtual over the last couple of years.
  3. There was a lot of discussion here about why HP hasn't been talking publicly about our StoreVirtual roadmap. At HP, we don't publicly disclose details of roadmaps. At times we'll give general guidance but HP can't disclose HP Restricted information without a signed non-disclosure agreement. You can usually get more details through your HP representative.  That doesn't mean we'll show you a roadmap for the next 2 years, but you can get more by talking to your HP rep.

@oikjn asked about a source for T-10 UNMAP.  I can't confirm that its coming in version 12.0 because that is HP Restricted and I can't confirm the OS release but I'll leave it to you to "guess".  We did announce some of the future enhancements coming at VMworld in September of 2014.  I have a blog post with a video that talks about what was announced and what's coming and that includes UNMAP.  Here's a link to that blog.

My job is focused on social media though support isn't something I can do - I'm not technical enough anymore for that (my BS in Electronic Engineering is 31 years old and I've been in HP Storage marketing for 25 years now) but I'm ALWAYS happy to help.  The best way to reach me if you aren't getting what you need is email: hpstorageguy at hp dot com.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your information, I just want to add 2 things: 

"but you can get more by talking to your HP rep". 

My HP Rep told me about 2 1/2 years ago, it will come soon. 

Last year we got hold to one of the product managers by email, that stated something similar, it's on high priority on the roadmap and soon... 

So basically yes, I understand why you don't disclose this information, as HP doesn't seem to know it themselves. So on the other side, it means, we really have to wait and hope, and if that takes 3 years. For us, the wait was too long, too many promises done, that we just have to move away because a new solution becomes cheaper than extending the lefthand. (which once UNMAP is there, wouldn't even be close to necessary). If HP would have disclosed some information and definite timeframe, we could plan and might have decided different. 

Yes, I somehow understand your point, but still it made you loose a lefthand customer as we were forced to make decisions based on information (or not available information) we had. We are small and probably you don't loose a lot, as we stay with many other HP hardware, but not SANs or Storage anymore. 

Patrick

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

@Patrick NeunerI am really sorry to hear the frustration that HP caused you in this situation.  It isn't a shinning moment for HP and I'm equally as sorry to hear you decided to move away from StoreVirtual but I certainly understand your frustration.

There's nothing I could have done to change the schedule but I'm always willing to be a point of contact to help get the information you need to make better decisions.  Either PM me here or drop me an email at hpstorageguy at hp dot com.

David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

Annnnnd - back at step one.

I was going to write a clever vitriol filled comment - but nah, whats the point?

We certainly feel a bit ripped off after being told the same story as everyone else, but they still work well enough for a test environment.

Moving to StorServ was a great experience, the product is not just a little bit better - its night and day and delivers performance that you would be dreaming of achieving on Storvirtual, with less drives and a similar (lower?) price point.

Even if version 12 has unmap support - it will be over two years since promised originally, so the units we have will be out of warranty anyway soon enough. Its probably unlikely to work on G2 units anyway....

Regards.

David Tocker
a_o
Valued Contributor

@David_Tocker