4811 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

SAN Backup with Data Protector

Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

SAN Backup with Data Protector

Hi,

We've got a 6 node multi-site setup in place at the moment and we're now looking at setting up a new backup infrastructure to give us the best possible coverage.

The intention is to locate a backup proxy server at the second site along with a direct connected dual-drive tape library.  The backup proxy server will be using HP Data Protector software to perform the backup.

I'm not that familiar with HP Data Protector and will be doing the training in a few weeks, but ahead of this I need to get some idea as to what my options are for the backup.

I've heard about taking snapshots of SAN volumes and exposing these to the backup server but i'm concerned that we don't have sufficient free space in the long term to make this a viable option - so my question really is - what are the other options?  Am I able to advertise the volumes to the backup proxy in read only mode and back them up this way?

Unfortunately it's a tough question to answer on my own without more knowledge of Data Protector.

Any feedback would be really welcome.

Pete

1 REPLY 1
Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Re: SAN Backup with Data Protector

I should perhaps add that the method by which the volumes are exposed varies.  We're running vSphere 4 so in most cases the primary disk for the Server (which hosts the OS) is actually a VMDK file located on a volume which has been exposed to the ESX Server.

Subsequent volumes, such as those used by SQL database files, are presented directly to the Virtual Server.  I have a feeling this may impact on how the backup needs to be performed, particularly if we want to include the OS as part of the backup.

Pete