StoreVirtual Storage
1752798 Members
5757 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN i/q v10 node in a v9 cluster (mixed G1 and G2 nodes)

mars_seven
Occasional Advisor

SAN i/q v10 node in a v9 cluster (mixed G1 and G2 nodes)

I have a P4500 4-node cluster being used as a datastore for VMware vSphere 4.1. The network RAID 10 cluster consists of 2 P4500 G1 and 2 P4500 G2 nodes. They're at SAN i/Q 9 and same as the CMC.  I know that I'll have to upgrade my current cluster to SAN i/Q 9.5. I'm planning on adding 2 more P4500 G2. Will the current P4500 G2's still have SAN i/Q 9.5 or will they be at new version 10? Will I be able to add SAN i/Q v 10 P4500 G2 nodes in my current cluster?

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. -Hp Forum Moderator

15 REPLIES 15
Northwoods
Frequent Advisor

The G2 nodes will upgrade to version 10 and the G1's are currently stuck at 9.5. I've heard from HP support that there can be issues with this mixed configuration but we are still working with them on it.

In generally they've said it should work in a mixed-mode but you won't get the advantages of 10.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

do you need the space in one large cluster?  Might be better to exchange the two new nodes with the G1 nodes and upgrade that cluster to v10 and have a 2nd cluster with the G1 stuff.  You get the same space, but not if you are trying to do one huge LUN.  You should be able to keep both clusters in the same mgt group.

mars_seven
Occasional Advisor

the nodes are in a large cluster w/ 2TB LUN's presented to vShpere 4.1 to make a large datastore w/ extents. had a discussion w/ vendor and their storage expert and they suggested i can add the v10 P4500 nodes but will have to downgrade the firmware to match current nodes. they also suggested we go migrate to new 3PAR hardware (not likely for now).

i'm still waiting for budget approval to get new P4500 nodes.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I'm not a vmware guy so I can't say, but if the LUNs are all 2TB, is there a limitation from vSphere that all luns in the datastore must come from the same iSCSI target?  If not, there should be no reason why you can't keep the new nodes in their own management group and at v10.  unless you have an extreemely compicated setup, creating a 2nd management group and running two isn't that big of a deal.  Switching to 3Par just sounds like an upsell to me, what did they say their resoning was for that?

Bob Firek
Regular Advisor

Northwoods,

Do you know what HP said would be the issues with running a mixed configuration?  Or can you point me to any HP docs on this? Also do you happen to know why the G1 servers can't be upgraded to 10? Is it a hardware issue? I'm stuck in this "mixed-mode" and am wondering what new horrors await me.

Thanks for your time,

Bob

Emilo
Trusted Contributor

You are "stuck" in the mixed enviroment.

Unless you seperate them in to 2 management groups.

I would not panic to much about compatibilty issues as most of the bugs are being worked out.

They did release 10.5 which did have a lot of fixes to the previous version.

This document has lots of good information it is old but it still has some value.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03544514/c03544514.pdf

mars_seven
Occasional Advisor

after several weeks waiting for budget approval and several weeks for new 2 nodes to be shipped, finally arrived last week. won't be setting this up until next 3-day weekend in May. missed my opportunity to add the nodes when last 3-day weekend last February had passed. The CDWG HP storage expert had suggested a solution was to downgrade the firmware from 10 to 9.5. Haven't unboxed the nodes but did take note that they come w/ firmware 10 DVD's. Going to see if i can download ISO of 9.5 firmware.

PS

while waiting for budget approval during February, had a motherboard replacement done on one of the G1 nodes (power outage issue). 2 years ago, the other G1 node had a motherboard replacement due to failing storage controller. Maybe i should have asked for 4 P4500 instead of 2.

(the CFO had once asked about using the cloud thingy for storage.)

oikjn
Honored Contributor

maybe I missed it, but did you say that you couldn't split this into two different clusters?  Just put the four G2 together and the 2x G1's together.  That way you can get the benefits of v10 on that cluster.  That works as long as you don't need to present just a single huge LUN.  That is what I would do... I might even consider splitting the two into two different mgt. groups as an option simply to make the clusters completely independent of eachother so something like a software upgrade bug doesn't take down my entire SAN.

mars_seven
Occasional Advisor

they're several LUN's but set up as 1 ESXi datastore w/ extents so i really can't split w/o major vm move to somewhere else.