StoreVirtual Storage
1748051 Members
4946 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SANiQ 8.5 Adding nodes to cluster, volume availability

srobinson

SANiQ 8.5 Adding nodes to cluster, volume availability

We have a pair of identical P4500s, one running 8.1, one running 8.5, clustered.

We've recently purchased two additional identical P4500s, both upgraded to 8.5.

I want to add both new nodes to the existing cluster, then drop the 8.1 node from the cluster and upgrade it to 8.5 before re-adding it to the existing cluster.

I have 20+ volumes on the existing cluster, which I need to be available at all times, even when adding new nodes and removing the 8.1 node. All are Network RAID-10, with the exception of four non-critical volumes.

Are there any problems in adding new nodes to the cluster "on the fly", then removing a node, upgrading it, re-adding it then changing the RAID type to Network RAID5?
2 REPLIES 2
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Re: SANiQ 8.5 Adding nodes to cluster, volume availability

That's a bit different way of handling an upgrade. The adding of the new nodes on the fly is simple...and quite easy. You will need to wait a little while for the nodes to restripe for the new space.

I would assume this would work okay. But do you run MPIO? If so, have you updated the DSM yet on your servers?

Why wouldn't you just add the new nodes into the cluster and then upgrade the 8.1 nodes while they are in the cluster? Seems like a lot of extra effort to me (just personal opinion).

Add new nodes = restripe
Remove old node = restripe
Add back old node = restripe
Set to NW Raid 5 = restripe (volumes only)

Instead you could
Add new node = restripe
Upgrade old node
Set to NW Raid 5 = restripe (volumes only)

Just a thought.
teledata
Respected Contributor

Re: SANiQ 8.5 Adding nodes to cluster, volume availability

I agree. I can't see a benefit from removing the node first..

Also be sure you are only planning to use NW RAID 5 for archive/backup or otherwise volumes not used for much writing.
http://www.tdonline.com