4474 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SanIQ 9.0 in the swdepot

Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

SanIQ 9.0 in the swdepot

SAN IQ 9.0 Should downloadleble from this link. Press the link for free button

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=P4000SW
10 REPLIES 10
virtualmatrix
Advisor

Re: SanIQ 9.0 in the swdepot

Is there a pointer to release notes? Something that describes everything that changed?

Already ran into one surprise where the new CMC would not let me log in since my password contained a "."

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Documentation is slowly showing up - it was first on the G1 manual pages, now its on G2's, too:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118659

And the [Edit Volume] window shows the volume size multiplied by 10 when running the V9.0 CMC against a management group at V8.5!!
I always pressed [cancel] to quit.
virtualmatrix
Advisor

I hope the CMC quirks that you and I already found aren't indicating anything about the 9.0 QA process. ;-)

Got the release notes; thanks for the pointer. Definitely some cool stuff there that we've been anticipating.

Has anyone out there measured any performance difference with the vStorage offload support?

Also, can anyone elaborate on the "hardware assisted locking" ? Is this referring to SCSI reservations per LUN? Trying to understand if this might allow more VMs per LUN.

vStorage
Occasional Visitor

With the hardware assisted locking, I believe a VAAI array will now do this at a more granular block level rather than LUN level - so VMDK and datastore responsiveness (snaphosts etc) will be 10-100x better according to VMware.

Recommended soft limits on VMs per datastore have increased from 16 to 50 because of VAAI assisted locking.
virtualmatrix
Advisor

16 to 50? That's great!

Does that apply to VSA based SANs as well?

I realize there are more variables involved in answering that in VSA-world, but a relative improvement estimate would be nice... e.g., can I say if everything is happy now at 10 VMs per LUN, then a 3X increase to 30 would be a reasonable expectation with version 9.0 ?

(Safely increasing # of VMs per LUN is a huge help in the overall manageability department.)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Thinking about that quick again, it could be caused by a non-existing localization, because we put the CMC on a German version of Windows, where 10.0 is shown 10,0.
Marcel-p4500
Advisor

It is clear that HP removed all Lefthand references in this release...

And, I see the following strange behavior with SANIQ v9:
- Assigned Servers, are you seeing also that there are 0 servers assigned?

And, yes, the sizes are a bit weird in volumes...

Another thing: who thinks the new maps are usable?
- I have seen a lot of maps, but i am thinking about these; how big are the screens of the CMC developers

The thing i like is the new look and feel, better then the 8.5 CMC.

Regards,
JonInfrastructure
Occasional Advisor

Hi There.

Unfortunately the (DMZ) server that I have the CMC on does not have ftp access, how do I do the upgrade from the version 9 CMC? I downloaded the 230 meg upgrade file but the 'install software' option is gone...
I'm sure I have to provide it with some sort of local media (for the upgrades page) but if I point it to where I downloaded the upgrade file to it tells me it's looking for the 'Upgrades Configuration file'. I assume this is probably an xml file that comes on one of the new downloads but can anyone tell me which one?

Cheers,

Jon
JonInfrastructure
Occasional Advisor

What I ended up doing is putting the CMC on my laptop and letting it download via a DSL link. It downloaded over 4Gb worth of patches and upgrades (including an upgradedes.xml file) which I am currently transferring to my DMZ management server that has the real CMC on it. There has to be a better way than this... If anyone knows it then please speak now...
Cheers.