4870 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Snapshot taking abnormally long amount of time to complete copying

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Snapshot taking abnormally long amount of time to complete copying

Hello --

We are running two four node groups of P4500 systems located at different sites. All systems have the 11.5 software, as well as the most recent firmware for all hardware components. A scheduled snaphot that started on Thursday, December 18 is only twenty-five percent complete as of this posting. This process is normally complete on Friday morning.

I checked the snapshot in the CMC, and it is in the Consolidating status. I have paused all other scheduled snapshots in an effor to expedite the copy process of the snapshot in question. This is not an ideal situation, and I hope this not something that I will have to do on a regular basis.

Why is this occurring, and what steps can I take to either speed up the process now or in the future?

Thanks.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
1 REPLY 1
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Snapshot taking abnormally long amount of time to complete copying

check for bottlenecks.  How is the site-site bandwidth utilization?  Check each node for storage throughput and latency.  My guess is there is one node that has a failing disk that is slowing it down and causing the cluster to grind to a halt and simply marking that disk as failed will bring things back to norm....  that or your data change rate suddenly changed and its just got that much to process that its taking what its taking.