Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
HPE StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting nodes P4000 cluster

Subversive
Advisor

Splitting nodes P4000 cluster

We currently have 3 P4300 starter SAN solutions, each with the 7.2 TB raw storage. 2 of the clusters are deployed and in production (at different sites), and we are growing to a point where we would like to deploy the 3rd cluster. What I'd ideally like to do would be to add 1 node of the 3rd cluster to each of the 1st two clusters (ie: we would then have 2 x 3 node clusters) to increase the storage capacity of the existing clusters, rather than deploying the 2 nodes together as a 3rd cluster. Is this possible, or would I be unable to split the nodes from the 3rd, undeployed cluster, in this manner?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business) to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum moderator

2 REPLIES
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Splitting nodes P4000 cluster

Hi,

First, off course this is possible.

The third cluster, is it already deployed? If yes, then just remove the 2 nodes from the cluster...

Then the nodes will appear as unmanaged available nodes...

Now add 1 node to the first cluster and add the 2nd node to the 2nd cluster... Volumes will start automatically restriping accross the 3 nodes...

Off course you know the impact of the fact that you will have 1 site with 2 nodes and another site with 1 node... If the site with 2 nodes go down, the other site will not have enough data blocks anymore available at that site to keep the volumes alvive... And so I/O will stop in the 2nd site...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
My blog: http://blog.bitcon.be
Subversive
Advisor

Re: Splitting nodes P4000 cluster

Great, thanks. We actually already have 2 x 2 node clusters at different sites. I have 2 more nodes, but they ship as a pair and I wasn't sure if I could break them up between the clusters. I deployed one of them at site A this morning and added it to the management group and then to the cluster, it's working fine. Will add the other node to site B cluster early next week, thanks for the response.