StoreVirtual Storage
1748157 Members
4096 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreVirtual 2014 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Failure issuing call to Persistent Reservation

Ian_
Visitor

StoreVirtual 2014 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Failure issuing call to Persistent Reservation

Hi All,

I've got 5 new DL 360 Gen 9 Servers fresh built all running Windows Server 2012 R2 patched with the latest windows updates.

I'm running Hyper-V on the servers and have installed VSA 2014 on all of them software version is 12.0.00.0725.0.

I have 10GB licenses, the disks have hardware RAID 5 and I've used network RAID 10 to create a volume.

I can connect my iSCSI initiator to the VSA clusteres vIP on all servers but only one server can access the storage at a time. I'm checking enable multipath and changing all of the defaults on the initiator.

My Windows cluster validation gives me:

Validate SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation

Failure issuing call to Persistent Reservation RESERVE on Test Disk 0 from node SERERNAME when that node has successfully registered. It is expected to succeed. Incorrect function.

I've got the latest version of StoreVirtual DMS for MPIO (12.0.0.354) I've tried with and without teaming NICs.

I'm at a bit of a loss, does anyone have a similar working setup? I can't see what I'm not doing..

Thanks,

Ian

4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: StoreVirtual 2014 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Failure issuing call to Persistent Reservation

the top setup all sounds 100% perfect.  It is pretty much exactly what I"m doing and it does work.

My suggestion is to find the HP MPIO documents and follow their setup to the letter.  If you do, it will work.

If you open CMC and go do the LUNs you created, do you see the initiators connected?  When configured correctly you should see N+1 iscsi connections per initiator (server) where N= the number of NICs.  You should see one "HP MPIO Control" connection and a number of "HP MPIO data" connections which should represent each NIC.  If you don't see that, you haven't configured the MPIO correctly on the servers.  There are some steps that appear minor which if not done will not allow the MPIO to turn on, so make sure to follow the guide exactly.

Ian_
Visitor

Re: StoreVirtual 2014 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Failure issuing call to Persistent Reservation

Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear you have a similar working solution.

I've been over the Multipathing Deployment Guide again (here) and the only thing I can see which I hadn't noticed before was that the "Vendor Specific" profile was effectivly Fail Over, so I've changed to Round Robin but I have the same issue. I do see multiple iSCSI sessions, occasionally a session will show as "UNKNOWN" with an error symbol - not sure what error this could be as no information is given. The current setup attemp which the screenshot is taken with is using 2 NICs teamed. Just to confirm, I'm creating a vSwitch from that team for the VSAs and then sharing that connection with the host to connect the iSCSI initiator to the vIP - I'm hoping that's OK and not where I'm going wrong. The screenshot would suggest I'm getting too many sessions... I'm going to go over the guide again and keep tinkering.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

yes, vendor specific is the default, but that is just A/P and so you should switch them over to round robin.

since you didn't expand the node names, I can't tell if you have 6 nics or just 6 connections...  each time you click connect and ok, it will connect and keep the link active.  The UNKNOWN link status is when a link goes offline for some reason (like a physical cable is pulled or any other reason a logical link might break.

Is your VIP 10.10.4.1 for the cluster?  I assume it is, and that is the IP you should be the one you are using for discovery and for connections.   You should manually go in and disconnect all the extra connections you made, remove the favoites you aren't using or are duplicates and recreate them.

If there isn't any data on the LUNs, I would make sure that after you remove the LUNs from the system, that you go into computer manager and select to view hidden devices and remove all the greyed out drives and disks that will show up there.  Then you can reconnect to the LUN and it should rescan it on connection and then it should work.

Ian_
Visitor

Thanks for the advice, I tried all of the above and had the same issue, but I was happy to get rid of all of the remnents of the old attempts.

I uninstalled the HP MPIO driver on all servers, installed it again with the media from the HP site, not the updated version that CMC had found. After the install/reboot all servers could see a new version available from Windows update released June 2015. This version fixed my issue!

Thanks

Ian