5580 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreVirtual 4730 gets shiped with wrong Cache configuration

Johannes_we
Frequent Advisor

StoreVirtual 4730 gets shiped with wrong Cache configuration

Hi,

I´ve done testing with our new 4730 MultiSite Cluster boxes.

The values where so bad, that i checked the complete system for failures in configuration.

What i have seen is critical for everyone of you. See the picture i attached.

RAID Controller Cache is set to 100% READ

After setting to 100% write everything is fine now!

HP! Why?

3 REPLIES 3
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Re: StoreVirtual 4730 gets shiped with wrong Cache configuration

they are servers.

it is up to you to ensure the bios (board/raid controller) are setup properly, including SAAP key and ilo key, configuring bios to not stop on error with press F1 to continue, to ensure bios power mode setting is MAX MAX MAX performance, ensure block strip size is proper for your application (! live stripe migration with SAAP key!) and caching enable physical drive write cache (super important) and cache ratio (10% read 90% write is optimal!

So yeah, it is a server, like any other server, take responsibility to ensure everything is setup proper.

Many things can cause defaults to reset on a server (bios/raid bios/etc)!!

I just take responsibility and do the work before I put into production rather than learning the hard way!
psmiano
Visitor

I disagree. These are SAN devices. They are based on Proliant Server technology, but if they are sold as a StoreVirtual solution, it is HP's responsibility to configure them properly prior to release into the channel. I understand if there was a problem with some of the devices, but HP needs to be alerted to a QC problem so there is no widespread issue, or at least so they can issue a notice to customers.

Not having had this particular model, but having had 4 generations of LHN/HP NSM to StoreVirtual nodes, I have never had this problem, nor have I ever seen a requirement for the customer to set up the RAID or CACHE on the storage node. This is not a typical issue and one that could/would confuse during testing. Kudos for finding and resolving the problem. Hopefully this is not a widespread problem.

This is not your typical "you should have known better" scenario.

ccavanna
Advisor

I got a 4530 recently and its cache settings are set to 50/50.