4939 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Troubles configuring HP Left Hand p4000 virtual san

maurix_1
Occasional Contributor

Troubles configuring HP Left Hand p4000 virtual san

Hi:

I downloaded and install Lefthand p4000 virtual SAN Appliance on a vmware machine but unfortunelly I can├В┬┤t configure the disks RAID.

I was checking the documentation and the VSA VM has assigned the disks correctly. The only thing I found is that virtual device node list does├В┬┤t include the SCSI 1:0 node and apparently is required. My list shows 0:1 0:2 0:3 ..... 0:15.

What can I do to correct my problem? I can├В┬┤t see the disks at CMC for VSA machine.

regards
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hm, I can just scroll down and see 1:0 being offered - a virtual SCSI adapter is added automatically. Did you configure any additional virtual NICs so that the 6 PCI slots in the VM are full already?
maurix_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi:

Due to some incompatibility between the Intel Network card and the esx server I had to add a 3com network card.

Thanks
maurix_1
Occasional Contributor

Currently I have just one pci slot available.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I was talking about the virtual PCI slots inside of the VSA VM....
maurix_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi:

I have installed the lefthand appliance for vmware. My machine is a Dell dimension 9100.

Regards
Gauche
Trusted Contributor

The virtual disk devices for the VSA absolutely have to be on SCSI 1:0 through 1:5 and in order.
No getting around that in the VSA so if your VMware config won't let you use more than one virtual scsi adapter you are not going to be able to use the VSA setup on that. I've never heard of not being able to add the second virtual adapter though.
Adam C, LeftHand Product Manger
maurix_1
Occasional Contributor

ok thanks you

Regards
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Now I had the same problem: could not create a new disk at SCSI 1:0 so it looks like a VMware bug (ESX 3.5 / VC 2.5). I won't open a call because this is a test environment and I am not on the latest releases anyway.

The following workaround helped:

- map the new disk to the first adapter at 0:15 instead and finish "edit settings".

- then open "Edit settings" again and now I was able to move the disk to SCSI 1:0

(Yes, the VM was powered off).
Ren├й Loser
Frequent Advisor

Recommendation: use ESX4i version instead. It is fully supported as well - if your hardware below is supported by vSphere.

regards,
reNe