StoreVirtual Storage
1752290 Members
5006 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Two site P4300 multi-site SAN failover?

MattGGG
Occasional Contributor

Two site P4300 multi-site SAN failover?

I have a client that has two sites (across the street) with 1GB fiber running between them.   I have setup a P4300 node in each site.  vSphere is setup with a node in each site utilizing a single cluster.  The cluster has been setup so that site B's vSphere host is configured as standby.

I am running a FOM in Site A (on local vSphere disk) so that Site A wins quorum.  I know that this type of configuration requires the FOM to be in a 3rd site,  but that is not an option.

I have successfully tested failure of either node and the 1Gb fiber.   The final test is what happens if site A is down.

In the current scenario,  I will lose quorum so here are the options that I am aware of:

• Shutdown FOM on a daily basis and copy the VM files to local vSphere storage in Site B. After failure go to site B and add FOM to vSphere inventory.  Startup FOM and should allow Site B to get quorum.  Would then need to start VMs
  • Call support and have them force quorum on site B's P4300.   Start VMs.   I understand that once site A is back online that this will cause a full resync of all of the data to site A.   Does anyone know what commands are used to capture quorum?

I am leaning towards the 2nd solution as it is supported.   The FOM copy is unsupported and an unknown.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

-Matt

8 REPLIES 8
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

If you don't have a third location for the FOM I think the second scenario (seize quorum) is the only option.

I was going to post this same question myself as I'd like to know the official/recommended solution?

MattGGG
Occasional Contributor

I have tested the FOM copy to site B and it does work.  I am leary of relying on it though,.

-Matt

NickPham
Occasional Visitor

Hi Matt,

I have a client with a similar environment. However, the FOM is stored on a volume hosted by the SAN. We are looking to moving it to local storage.

Do you know how to force move the quorum?

Thanks.

David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

Hi Nick.

Your FOM should never be hosted on the infrastructure it is supporting. It must be available to all nodes regardless of whether your node(s) goe(s) down.

Regards.

David Tocker
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

You best option is to setup a Virtual Manager and just implement manual intervention for quorum.

Calling support would take a long time and is much more intrusive.

Just setup the VM and when ever you have an outage you just implement the VM

David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

Just had a thought - if you dont mind getting really ghetto, and it is just accross the street you could consider a seperate wireless link on another LAN. The chances of your fibre getting cut as well as your wireless would be pretty minimal. As it is only the FOM on the seperate lan if the wireless was to stop working you would still have independant paths via the fibre so you arent going to fall over...

You would definately need l3 switches on both ends routing the link obviously, you probably dont want your replication going over the wireless link or STP problems... but FOM traffic is pretty minimal..

Regards.

David Tocker
NickPham
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your feedback guys,

Appreciate it.

I was thinking of maybe running FOM via VMplayer on a backup server in the DR site (Where SAN Node B resides). When the DR site loses power and SAN Nobe B and FOM is powered down. Will the SAN lose the quorum and be inaccessible?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Same story... Node B and the FOM down means U will lose quorum and so U access to data will be stopped...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !