4585 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

UPS requirement

simon_191
Occasional Contributor

UPS requirement

Hello,

Can anyone please recommned a UPS product in order to gracefully shutdown P4500 G2? I can't see the product listed on APC website. What is the underlying OS. Could a Linux agent work?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Re: UPS requirement

It depends on the rack that you use.

With the UPS u can shutdown using a script.

You can go to the below link to find out the rack model that you have and select the UPS.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/index.html
simon_191
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that

Do you know where there might be some scripts that I can use in order to shutdown the P4500 gracefully?

Thanks again
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Sample scripts are available to Customers that can be called from UPS
Systems, such as APC

If you would like HP LeftHand assistance in writing scripts for your
environment, please send mail to lhn.professional.services@hp.com for
a quote.
adolbec
Advisor

Hi,

You could pay HP like suggested but if you are or one of your co-workers can manage a little bit of scripting, you can use the HP P4000 CLIQ provided tool to shutdown your nodes from another one that has the UPS shutdown agent installed. The command to used for CLIQ is shutdownNSM. This is a Windows tool so you would need a Windows station/server to execute this from; there might be however a way to SSH into the box using a non standard port to have access to the CLIQ shell on the node itself and send the command directly which could bypass the need to run this from Windows.

Alain
simon_191
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alain,

Cheers for that.

Just to confirm your thoughts. Do you mean if I have a windows APC agent installed on a server, in the event of a power outage this could trigger the NSMShutdown command which would then send a message to the P4500 node to power down?

I believe you can shutdown all the nodes using the SANIQ s/w running form a Windows server. Could this be used somehow in order to trigger a node shutdown in the event of a power failure?

Thanks

Simon
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

APC Symmetra with Powerchute software installed on each box.
adolbec
Advisor

Hi Simon,

I am not sure about the latest comment regarding PowerChute; we are using the VSA 9.0 over here and it does not include to my knowledge PowerChute software into it. Anyway, PowerChute will not do much if you are connected to say a Liebert UPS.

From your question, yes that is what I meant. You could trigger an action from your monitoring node that would send the shutdown action to your NSMs. You mention SAN/iQ software, I will assume you are talking about the CMC, the management console. I do not think that you can automate a shutdown action from an event in there; it has to be from a script that will call CLIQ with the right commands. You obviously want to have network comms up and running and that your servers are shutting down before the NSMs (the shutdownNSM has a delay field).

Alain
Shayne Heidemann
Regular Advisor

You can SSH (TCP port 16022) to a P4000 management group (IP address of any node) to access the CLIQ (SAN/iQ Command line interface) which has a shutdown command, so in theory you should be able to script a remote command from any OS that can provide SSH to perform a shutdown in the event of a power outage.

So, use PCNS to issue a shutdown to a host (Perhaps VMware vMA)
http://jpaa-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11144/kw/ESXi%204.1

Then use ssh from that host to issue a shutdown command to the P4000 mgmt group.

I haven't tried it, but in theory it should work.

Cheers
Shayne
simon_191
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject guys

I will let you know how I get on

Simon