New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade from 9.5 to 10.5 with P4500 node into one cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Exploitation67
Advisor

Upgrade from 9.5 to 10.5 with P4500 node into one cluster

Hello,

We have a Management Group composed of 2 clusters (each with 4 nodes), the SAN/IQ version is 9.5.00.1215.0 and we have to upgrade to the latest Lefthand OS 10.5 in order to integrate 4  new P4530 (600GB).

One cluster is composed of 2 P4500 (450Gb) and  2 P4500G2 (450Gb) and the other is composed of 4 P4500G2 (600Gb).

The question is  simple : Can I upgrade this MG in 10.5 Lefthand OS or this is not possible because it contains P4500?

If not, I think the best choice is to create a new MG which will contain the 4 new P4530 and migrate the data (of the actual P4500G2 cluster 600Gb) into it.

After that, destroy the actual P4500G2 600Gb cluster, upgrade the Lefthand OS for each node (with the iso?)  and integrate them to the "new" P4530 cluster?

Thanks in advance.

Exploit
8 REPLIES 8
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

I am somewhat confused by your question.

If you have p4500G2's then can be upgraded to 10.5

So just perform the upgrade on them to 10.5 and make sure the your nodes are very similar ot the p4500g2's.

If they are (disk size, speed, sas etc) then you can add them to the same cluster. The p4500g2's are evently going to hold you back from upgrading as the approach end of life.

As far as the p4500 you are stuck they can only be upgraded to 9.5.

The only way to have the management group at 10.5 would be to eliminate them from the management group.

If the management group being at 9.5 is not an issue for you there is no reason you should not be able to run them in a mixed enviroment. I am very surprised that this board seems to have an issue with a mixed enviroment. It is supported and should work fine.

Exploitation67
Advisor

OK, I know that P4500G2 can be upgraded to 10.5 but what the best way to upgrade them?
Can I upgrade them directly from the CMC ? Because when i'm in the CMC I can only upgrade the entire MG and can't choose one cluster or specific nodes.

If I understand my MG can be in 9.5,one of my cluster can be in 10.5 version and the other (wich contain P4500) can be in 9.5.

Exploit
Emilo
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Just upgrade them from the CMC.

As long as your volumes are fully replicated Network RAID 10 OR 5, you should be OK.

The ISO image is only if you want fully wipe out everything.

So download all the patches and perfrom the upgrade.

The CMC is intelligent enough to know the difference and will just apply the pathces for each version of the SANIQ.

Exploitation67
Advisor

OK, thank you.
I will do this, CMC is enough intelligent and it's a good news :)
Exploit
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

thank you for the Kudo's.

Its nice to get feedback as many people dont take time to respond.

Let me know how it goes.

Exploitation67
Advisor

Hello,

The upgrade was a success, I just have a SQL cluster instance which has failover.

Is this registry modification already needed for Windows server 2008R2 with HP DSM fot MPIO? and without HP DSM?

• Create registry keys for MaxHoldRequest
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
  • Find MaxRequestHoldTime
  • Set to Decimal and change value to 600
  • Restart the Server

And just one other question, until my MG is in 9.5 version I don't have the new functionnality of Lefthand OS 10.5? Is this right?

Thanks a lot for your information.

Exploit
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

• Create registry keys for MaxHoldRequest
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
  • Find MaxRequestHoldTime
  • Set to Decimal and change value to 600
  • Restart the Server

This an old hack that had to be done in previous versions.

You should have installed the DSM/MPIO before doing the upgrade I think the CMC told you that right?

You are correct as long as the Management group is at 9.x it will not have the 10.x functionality.

Exploitation67
Advisor

OK, many thanks.

Exploit