3601 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrade of Lefthand SAN 9.5 to 10.5

largechicken
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade of Lefthand SAN 9.5 to 10.5

Hello all,

Just wondering can anyone confirm the best process in upgrading my current 2 san site with 8  P4500G2 hosts from software version 9.5 to 10.5? Does it involve a full site restart or is it clever to reboot a host at a time to avoid an outage?

BIgger picture is that i wish to add 2 new P4530G3 hosts to increase my storage.

Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

Re: Upgrade of Lefthand SAN 9.5 to 10.5

All my upgrades have been seamless.

If it is network RAID 10 or 5 and the CMC is not reporting issues you should be okay.

Regards.

David Tocker
HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

If you use the CMC Upgrade manager, than he will take care that one node at a time is rebooted during an upgrade process.

Frankiboy
Advisor

Is there any issues upgrading from from 10 to 10.5 that can happen? just gonna take vacation but i have some reboot issue on my 2012 failover cluster because the hardware vss provider. was hoping an upgrade could fix the issue. Is this a known issue on the 10 version?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I'm on 10.5, but I'd be nervous about doing that upgrade right before you go on vacation.  You have updates to the SAN, DSM, app-snapshots, CLI...  you never know what is going to pop up with YOUR system where some funky piece of software or config you have suddenly has an issue even though nobody else does.  Personally, I would stay with what you have until you get back as a known issue is almost always "safer" than the unknwon unless the update specifically states it will fix the issue you are having.

Frankiboy
Advisor

Ok, I agree to wait on the update so I have  a few days in case something is going wrong.

The only issue I have is thiat the hardware vss provider on my Server 2012 hyper-v nodes restart sometimes during a san-snapshot, no matter if I try DPM 2012 SP1 or Veeam 6.5.

The Windows nodes if fully patched and I am using the latest hardware vss provider driver.

Are there nobody else who can see this behavoir and perhaps have a fix?

I also thought took a snapshot of the san and took backup of all the vm at once. Insted it seems to create one snapshot for each vm. Is this usual?

The backup is going fast, but I though perhaps its TOO fast for the san.

A workaround would of course be to disable the hardware vss driver, then the reboot would go away and my datacentre would be stable as this is the onlye issue I have been facing the last month.