StoreVirtual Storage
1753722 Members
4734 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading a P4300 cluster (from 2 to 4 nodes)

SOLVED
Go to solution
M. N.
Advisor

Upgrading a P4300 cluster (from 2 to 4 nodes)

I apoligize for the very basic question.

I have a P4300 cluster based on 2 nodes running version 9.5.01 build 0279.

The cluster is used in a VMware vSphere implementation to host datastores. The data in the datastore are business critical.

I need to add and integrate a new P4300 cluster based on 2 nodes as well.

I don't know the OS version because it is still in the box.

Is there any document or manual describing the action to be performed and the related best practices?

Can I simulate the upgrade process by using VSA, creating a 2 node cluster and adding 2 other nodes?

Regards

marius

4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Upgrading a P4300 cluster (from 2 to 4 nodes)

the way you word your question is a little confusing to me.

Are the two new nodes already a cluster or are they just brand new nodes not configured?

If they are just two nodes, you simply boot them up, assign IP addresses on the nodes and then join them to the management group.

Once they are in the existing management group, you can either create a new cluster (so your management group has two clusters in it), or you can jion the two nodes to your existing cluster to increase its capacity and performance.  If they are the same model as your other nodes and you don't require two clusters for some arbitrary management reason, I would suggest you add those two nodes to the existing management group.

Adding to the management group can be done online, but it will require a cluster restripe which takes up resourses while it happens.  You will want to make sure you add both nodes at the same time because then it will do one restripe as opposed to adding them one at a time which would require two restripes.  This is done simply by right clicking on the cluster, go to edit, and select add storage systems.

M. N.
Advisor

Many thanks for the useful hint.

If I simply add the nodes to the existing cluster, should I change or update the current iSCSI configuration?

As I understand, I must update the iSCSI configuration if I add new volumes (is it correct?), but if I simply expand the existing ones should I change the iSCSI configuration?

Regards

marius 

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you add nodes to an existing cluster, nothing will change for the existing volumes and their iSCSI connections... Only you will see more connections on your iSCSI initiator on server side and the CMC...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

no action is required on your part on the servers before/after you add the extra nodes to the cluster.  Everything is hidden behind the VIP.  As bart mentioned, you will see more ilnks appear with your MPIO setup, but that happens on its own and doesn't need any configuration on your part.