1748275 Members
3715 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading from SAN/IQ 9.0 to 9.5

AlanByrneIT
Advisor

Upgrading from SAN/IQ 9.0 to 9.5

Hi, we have three 2 x P4000 clusters.  Each 2 node cluster has a VIP.

This is an upgrade summary we have to upgrade SAN/IQ from 9.0 to 9.5.

1.       Upgrade CMC to 9.5

2.       Upgrade DSM for MPIO on all servers to version 9.5, restart.

3.       Confirm all servers have minimum Microsoft iSCSI Initiator version 2.08.

4.       Upgrade FOM (our FOM sits in a seperate site from our SANs as a VM)

5.       Upgrade each SAN to 9.5

Does this sound like a resonable plan or have I missed anything?

One thing I don't understand is the FOM upgrade, when and how does this take plan?  I cannot find any information on this specific part?

Thanks, Alan

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor

also upgrade the app aware snapshot and CLI during step 2 if you use those.

Change your labeled step 3 (Upgrade FOM (our FOM sits in a seperate site from our SANs as a VM) to "confirm FOM is running on a x64 bit host" (I can't remember if the FOM switched to x64 in 9 or 9.5, but by 9.5 the FOM must run x64 so the host must also be x64). You don't need a split step to upgrade the FOM...  since the FOM is in the same management group, it will upgrade the FOM at the same time as the rest of the nodes.  Just make sure its listed as a node getting upgraded before you confirm you start the process.

Northwoods
Frequent Advisor

As oikjn hinted, upgrades are on a per management group level.
AlanByrneIT
Advisor

Hi,

Sorry about the numbering in my original post, I've it corrected now.

Our FOM is a VM running on a WS2008R2 SP1 Hyper-V host, because the host is X64 does that mean the our FOM VM is X64 or how to I confirm this?

Regarding the FOM upgrade to 9.5, this takes place the same time as I start the upgrade process of the physical SAN nodes?

I just need to make sure it's part of the list to be upgraded when going through the upgrade process?

Thanks

AlanByrneIT
Advisor

Hi, anyone able to help?

Thanks

oikjn
Honored Contributor

yes your FOM should be fine.  since its been a while w/out anyone responding, hopefully you just tried the upgrade through CMC...  it will work just fine.  I believe the upgrade process will complain if your FOM won't work before the upgrade process starts.  If you installed the FOM on 2k8R2 computer from the beginning it was definietly x64 from the beginning.

One note.  If you decide to go from 9.0 to 10.0, you MAY have to log into each node as you upgrade to re-enter the detault gateway during the upgrade process.  I had to do that for my 9.5 to 10.0 upgrade, but that might have just been an issue with my setup.