New Discussion

VMware VSAN with HP hardware

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

VMware VSAN with HP hardware

Hello,

so VMware has finally released its VSAN software:

http://www.slideshare.net/DavidDavis10/v-mware-vsan-tech-deep-dive-march-2014

VDI is coming for us. We will start with roughly 300 users, each given a full VM with Windows 8.1 running. For planning purposes we once took a quote for a 3PAR/StoreServ.

Time has changed, VMware´s VSAN is available.

• So, no more need for SAN? I.e. no more need for 3PAR for our planned VDI setup?
  • Let´s take servers, input SSDs, RAM, SAS drives. That´s it?It simply sounds to good to be true.
  • Let´s look at 3PAR: We  have up to 4 controllers in one shelf. But with VSAN, I do not need 4 controllers. I need one controller with JBODed disks;  10k 2.5/3.5, it doesn´t matter at all. I do not need any RAID cards, as whole nodes seems to break away wihtin one VSAN cluster. No more end of life scenarios with SANs (which is now the case with my current EVA installations)...

Let´s look at VMware´s HCL: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan

• HP is missing?

So, what is HP´s strategy for VMware´s VSAN? Did anyone in this forum take part in that VSAN beta?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage>General to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
BL460C
Advisor

Re: VMware VSAN with HP hardware

How come this was moved to StoreVirtual?

VSAN is in no way related to Lefthand.

However back on topic, yes time have definetly changed although VSAN is still not ready according to VMware's own release notes.

Only for "Testing" and low priority VDI

The question I have asked myself today, is for my environment the Blade architecture we invested in was a bit of a waste as VSAN is better suited for simple commodity hardware with local storage, using IT firmware on HBA and not IR.

What HP should do in my opinion is re-purpose those 12 Drive Blade enclosures and offer IT firmware on a HBA and get it on the VMware HCL. Could make customers with a Blade investment happier :)

Time will tell how relaible/successful VSAN is, but when you compare licensing costs + commodity Proliant costs it's a very attractive solution for the price vs performance.