1747988 Members
4847 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Version 11 SMI-S and SCVMM 2012 R2

Quailman
Occasional Contributor

Version 11 SMI-S and SCVMM 2012 R2

Has anyone been able to get SCVMM 2012 R2 to talk to a version 11 cluster over SMI-S?  Mine will connect and display the cluster name, but it shows 0 GB for the size and no storage pools.  Support is cluseless on getting this feature to work.

13 REPLIES 13
oikjn
Honored Contributor

++I see the same thing. guess that is what they consider SMI-S support
HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

Well, it is working with SCVMM 2012 SP1(which is also the only mentioned SCVMM version in the 11.0 release notes). SCVMM 2012 R2 is not yet supported as far as I know.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

isn't the point of SMI-S that its a UNIVERSAL standard?  not working in R2 should only happen if it isn't actually done to the standard like when people used to code to the IE3 html code instead of the real html and then it wouldn't always work in other browsers because they followed the spec.

Ralf Gerresheim
Frequent Advisor

We opened a case and get an answer from HP engineering that SMS-S in CMC v11.0 is only supported with SCVMM 2012 (SP1) and not suppoerted with SCVMM 2012 R2. support for SCVMM 2012 R2 will be added in the next release later this year.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_Management_Initiative_%E2%80%93_Specification 

so basically they are saying they don't really do SMI-S, they just made a port for SCVMM to work.  Its like saying "our webpage works for IE8, but it won't work in IE9+/chrome/firefox/ect.. . because we didn't follow the standard when we programmed it.

How did you connect with VMM to Lefthand?

Is there some HP How to?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

for VMM 2012r2 there is no point right now, but if you go to the fabric tab, you can add a "SAN and NAS devices discovered and managed by a SMI-S provider"  just add an SMIS- CIMXML protocol provider and use the cluster VIP for the IP and setup a run as account to match an account on the SAN and it will "work".  Right now all it does is say "oh hey I've connected and the name of your SAN is XXXX, but I don't see anything more."

Thank you for the information.

I also opend a case with HP and now have connection tot the LeftHand Clusters.

I see all the information and running VMM 2012 R2 CU1.

PSlijkerman

It has been a couple of months now since the last post. I also have this issue with HP Lefthand OS 11.5 en SCVMM 2012 R2 CU3.

I am able to connect to the storage and i receive the managment group name but no lun's, TB's or Manufacture, models or Pools.

Any news?