1748287 Members
3324 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtualizing (P2V) the host running che CMC

M. N.
Advisor

Virtualizing (P2V) the host running che CMC

I have a LeftHand infrastructure based on 2 HP P4xxx clusters and several storage.

The host currently running the CMC (V. 12.5) should be converted to a VM by using VMware converter.

How can I ensure that the CMC and - even more - the Left-Hand clusters will go on wirking and will not be damaged in any way?

Is there a best practice to use?

Should I migrate the CMC to a different host before virtualizing the curren host?

Regards

M.N. 

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

CMC is just a program that runs to allow you to see and manage the management group, but it is NOT needed to operate anything and you do NOT need to have a program running in order for the SAN to be operational.  You can install it on your desktop computer as long as it has routable access to the SAN.  For example, I have two sites I manage, one is local on its own VLAN and the other is remote with a VPN connection.  I manage both using CMC installed on my desktop and close CMC when I"m done using it.  THe only reason I would leave it open for an extended period of time would be when I want to record an extended period on the performance monitor graphs for review since I don't have a SNMP logging program running.

Don't setup a dedicated VM just to run CMC as it is not needed UNLESS your SAN LVAN is completely isolated from your production network.

jot82
Regular Visitor

oikjn is right, the CMC is just a programm and can be installed anywhere, as long as you have network connectivity to the SAN. We install it regularly in virtualized customer environments without a problem. You could even install it multiple times on different VMs to administrate the same Lefthand cluster.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

and CMC does not need to be running in order for the management group to be functioning.  It is just a tool to configure the management group or monitor it.  I have email alerts setup and at a point I just stopped opening it more than once a month once things became stable.  One site doesn't even have a computer with a copy installed on it :-p  I just VPN in and connect using my laptop or desktop if I need to check on that management group..