New Discussion

esx5i + VSA HP P4300

SOLVED
Go to solution
Florian Schmutz
Frequent Advisor

esx5i + VSA HP P4300

Hello Together..

Im a bit confused about the VSA of HP. The installing and configure manual does not help me to answer my Q.

As first the Setup:

2x DL380 G7 (2x 148 GB) 14x300 GB eatch.

Esx 5.i and enouth RAM

So now how to configure.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/uploaded_files/VSAUserManual.pdf

Does told me how much Ram i have to set 2 - 3 GB how to create the VMDK (Settings) and witch SCSI Adress...

It also told me that i have to create 5 GB - 3TB disks but.... it told me nothing about the design.

Cause the Manual describs i have to use a Raid (NOT Raid0 wath a wonder)

I created like the physical P4300 a Raid 5 over 13 Disks and add 1 Spare on each server

I installed the ESX on the 2x 148 GB Raid 1 disks.

So but... now do i create on big Datastore (attention i need to create a VMFS 5 causethe 3600 GB is not supported in the lower vers...

Oke and now .... shuld i create one big disk.... or shell i create 6x 600 GB disks and add them to the VSA and create in the CMC a Raid 5 over thees 6 DIsks....

or shuld i create 1 big VDMK ........

Got any one experinance about thaht?

Something ohter.... The most traffic will stay in the ESX as self cause the Storage is build in and there is no need to go out over a vmk to an other network component (If on both vsa are the same luns and bla..)

I thinking about to give the VSA a 10 GB Nic.... did here see anyone a problem?

Im happy about all Feedbacks cause i cant finde any BPA or complelty Installing and configuring guide.

Kind Regards

Florian

4 REPLIES 4
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: esx5i + VSA HP P4300

Hi,

The storage seen by the VSA must be created as VMDK files on your local VMFS volumes... It supports a max file size of 2TB... So if you have more than 2TB available, create multiples of 2TB files, with a max number of files of 5 which makes 10TB which is the current maximum supported by the VSA...

The disks that you add to the VM properties must be on SCSI 1:0, 1:1 and so on, but this is well described in the deployment manual of the VSA...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Florian Schmutz
Frequent Advisor

Hmm oky greate

Soi i will create 2x 1.5 TB so im near the avaialbe max disksize and i have a bit space so that the Smartarray can perform.

Something else did you have any sugesstion to the 10GB VmNic?

Shell i do for the internal communication?

I the not supported configuration is nothing written about this.

Tanks for your Feedback

Florian

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I never tried the 10Gb vNIC... Untill now I never had performance issues with my 3 VSA's running on 1Gb... Also most implementations done are always with 1Gb NICs...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Florian Schmutz
Frequent Advisor

okee ;)

hmm yep the interconnection between the two vsa will be 2x 1GB.

But the idea was to accelerate the communication between the ESX and the VSA on the same server when i give the VSA a 10 GB Nic ^^

Any one elese ?? XD its just a gimmic but why dont implement when it is supported... we implement that system from the base so .. ;)